Snowdepth

88skier

Snow depth

Hi John,

Just looking back through your maximum snow depth records since you moved to the Keweenaw, and it looks like the snow you've recorded in Keweenaw County hasn't been much different if at all than what you saw in Lake Linden. You maxed out at 45" a couple of times with multiple 40"+ in Lake Linden but have only exceeded 40" once since you moved to Keweenaw Co. Granted the last three winters have been abysmal for snow in the Keweenaw, but I thought the elevation would make a noticeable difference especially in the better snow years (07/08 and 08/09)? Aside from the day we got 25" in six hours (Feb 2009) when I lived in Houghton and had a solid four feet on the ground, we rarely had more than 30-35" on the ground while the higher terrain had far more. Any thoughts on the lack of a difference so far in both snow on the ground and season totals?

Thanks for the site. Helps me stay connected to a place I'd love to move back to someday.

Last edited:

jd

Administrator
Staff member
You are right, the higher elevations do tend to receive noticeably more snow than the lower terrain up here and I was expecting to see a jump in snowfall and snow depth numbers once I moved up here. The only thing I can chalk it up to is just dumb luck. Before we moved here, I observed deeper depths here at the property than we had in Lake Linden and even the first winter after building the shop, but before we moved up here there was a 6 day period in December when the Mohawk area got hammered with over 100" of snow. I kept the driveway open to the shop that year and I remember coming up that week and in 3 out of 4 days of clearing the snow up here I was clearing over 2 feet of fresh. I was actually beginning to wonder if I should even keep the driveway open that winter. Things did ease back to more "normal" snowfall and I only had to come up once or twice a week to move a foot of snow or so.

Hopefully in the not too distant future I will be able to report some 48"+ depths here, but I have pretty much given up hope for this season!

-John