Snowfall outlook map

hudson056

Down here around Jacksonville Illinois, I will deffinately welcome an average winter, last year I had to take my 5yr old for a ride in the ditches that had drifted over because there was no snow anywhere else. And 40s and 50s in January was almost depressing :)

jd

Administrator
Staff member
hudson056.

Not to pick on you at all, or burst your bubble, but you do realize that average snowfall for Jacksonville IL for the entire season is around 20" right? That's about 6-7" per month from Dec through Feb. Plus your average January high temp is 35 degrees, so it's not typical for snow to stick around long down that way.

I wish you lots of snow to play in, just want to make the point of what average would be. :)

-John

xsledder

Here's my observation. It doesn't matter which way the ENSO goes, Chicagoland is always screwed!

hudson056

oh yeah John very well aware of our "average" winters down here in central Illinois, but a couple of 6" snows is all we need to satisfy the craving, we try and get up to Munising in late Feb each year to ride the good snow. It cracks me up to see that some riders up north dont even get the sleds out until there is 12-16" on the ground, you guys would flip out if you saw some of the snow that we ride on.lol. either way, we take whatever we can get

chuckdogg39

John,
I know its early but, what is your take on this upcoming winter? Are we actually going to have a good riding season?

mezz

John,
I know its early but, what is your take on this upcoming winter? Are we actually going to have a good riding season?

Why don't you go to the "Forecast Text" under Weather & look at his "Seasonal Outlook" located at the midway point of the page. Reading is believing.........:rolleyes:-Mezz

SledTL

I just hope that we get at least one storm with some good snow to last at least a weekend to play in...only rode once lat year and that was up in lando...southern Wisconsin was amazing 2-3 years ago when we had that blizzard and good snows

600_RMK_144

Why don't you go to the "Forecast Text" under Weather & look at his "Seasonal Outlook" located at the midway point of the page. Reading is believing.........:rolleyes:-Mezz

Oh, snap. I didn't realize John had started the forecast (pre-season prediction anyway). I'm going to hope he is waaaay off base, I need this Winter to produce in a big way being the first Winter w/ my own sled and all. John, if you would be so kind as to revise this forecast to something more favorable in IA. JK, I'll chase the snow wherever it lands, hopefully not to far from home, thou. Thanks John for the update!

Last edited:

whitedust

Oh, snap. I didn't realize John had started the forecast (pre-season prediction anyway). I'm going to hope he is waaaay off base, I need this Winter to produce in a big way being the first Winter w/ my own sled and all. John, if you would be so kind as to revise this forecast to something more favorable in IA. JK, I'll chase the snow wherever it lands, hopefully not to far from home, thou. Thanks John for the update!

What 50/50 may or may not happen on long range winter forecast not good enough for you?? LOL Heck we never know where current storms are going to dump due to storm track. LES falls where it falls. Thank goodness for JD SC & snowfall /area condition reports a little effort & you know where the best of the best is in real time.:)