Snowing like crazy and nothing on radar?

ryanslyne

John,

Just was curious on what you had to say about this. Today it has been snowing pretty much all day in East Troy, WI. This morning we were supposed to get snow but only up to an inch. Looking at radar the small clipper came through and there is nothing on radar now. When I look out my office window in East Troy it is nearly a white out! Yes there is a bunch of snow blowing around but it looks like it is still snowing and snowing very hard. Any thoughts on what could be causing this?

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Well, at the time of your posting, I did see there were some radar echos showing up. Nothing too dramatic, but perhaps it was both falling and blowing snow that was causing the conditions you saw. Kind of hard for me to tell for sure without being there.

-John

srobak

Not too certain here, but I think it might be attributed to the gain/sensitivity on the radar. As a motorcyclist I am always watching the radars as I prefer not to get wet.

I notice a lot in the summer time that on clear but somewhat humid days there will be these rapidly growing splotches surrounding radar sites for a few hours earlier in the day... ground clutter I think it is called - though I suspect it to be reflections on the thick, humid air. Then suddenly halfway in the time lapse loop it just vanishes - like an adjustment was made. Most noticeable on humid days. Then later on the same day I have seen it raining pretty good and the radar is blank. An hour or so later suddenly half the radar loop shows significant precip and it just kinda *pow* appears, blanketing large swaths of land. I know there are "pop-up storms"... but not like this - and those are more often in isolated cells that you can watch grow and track. I believe it to again be an adjustment of the gain the other direction. But - i am not a meteorologist nor a radar engineer... but it is my best guess based on what I have read about regarding radars some time ago and what I have seen happen with some regularity - especially in the summer here in northern IL.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Not too certain here, but I think it might be attributed to the gain/sensitivity on the radar. As a motorcyclist I am always watching the radars as I prefer not to get wet.

I notice a lot in the summer time that on clear but somewhat humid days there will be these rapidly growing splotches surrounding radar sites for a few hours earlier in the day... ground clutter I think it is called - though I suspect it to be reflections on the thick, humid air. Then suddenly halfway in the time lapse loop it just vanishes - like an adjustment was made. Most noticeable on humid days. Then later on the same day I have seen it raining pretty good and the radar is blank. An hour or so later suddenly half the radar loop shows significant precip and it just kinda *pow* appears, blanketing large swaths of land. I know there are "pop-up storms"... but not like this - and those are more often in isolated cells that you can watch grow and track. I believe it to again be an adjustment of the gain the other direction. But - i am not a meteorologist nor a radar engineer... but it is my best guess based on what I have read about regarding radars some time ago and what I have seen happen with some regularity - especially in the summer here in northern IL.

That is a very good explanation and a very good possibility. I guess with it being winter, I never really thought much about a setting change on the radar, but is certainly is possible.

-John

pinestump

Years ago I ask John about why I see no snow on radar in his area and to the east in my area.....And he told me about low level precip being blocked from large ridges or hills like in the moutains so I simpley started looking at different radar location views......Thanks Again John