Snowmobile Safety course ?

snoluver1

Can a child with a valid safety certificate operate in any state, or is it only valid in the state that issued it?
Thanks in advance.

xcr440

And, does anyone have an idea where/when some courses are coming up? Either in the southern Twin Cities, or central WI Stevens Point area? I know its early, but I want to get my kids certificates this year.

arcticgeorge

Southern Twin Cities? (like MPLS/ST.PAUL?) I.G.H., MN. usally holds theirs in Jan. with the outdoor test about the last weekend of Jan.

t_man

Great questions here. I assumed a child with a safety certificate from any state would be valid (as it is for boats) but I couldn't find language on the DNR site. I'd like to know, too. I was planning to take my son to a class in MI prior to a planned trip to northern MN. Now I'm not sure that will work.

As far as scheduled classes, here is the link to a list on the MN DNR web site.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/vehicle/snowmobile/index.html

wiggsfive

I tried to find the answer to this question two years ago with no success.

My son took his class in Vermont two years ago, since then we have ridden in three states (il, WI and both upper and lower MI.) We have been asked to show a valid safety certificate in all three states with no issues. Hope this helps.
113324.jpg

sjshaner

As to the snowmobile safety certificate, I know that Wisconsin and Michigan accept Illinois safety certificates. It even states on the Wisconsin DNR website that they recognize out of state certificates. Hope this helps.

marty700

As sjshaner said, Wisconsin and Michigan accept the Illinois certificate and from personal experience I know that Illinois and Michigan accept the Wisconsin course. I made my 12 year old take the Illinois course as it was a more comprehensive all-day course and I thought he could use that. The Wisconsin course may be taken by anyone - even out-of-staters. The Wisconsin course can be obtained on a CD-ROM which includes a test at the end. Once completed, you then print your own certificate from the software on the CD. My older kids got their certificates that way. The Wisconsin DNR website has instructions on obtaining the CD. I don't remember what the cost was, but it was very reasonable.

xcr440

I got my kids signed up to the October 18th course in Savage. One day, done. Test ride a month later, no biggie.

dpd43

I would think the Snowmobile Safety Certificate is similar to a driver's license and should be accepted by any state. In NW WI, Amery to be exact, we generally run our Snowmobile Safety Course at the end of November into early December. I like the MN course, which allows a 1 day completion, but WI's DNR hasn't allowed the course to be "streamlined". We post our dates in the local paper and through the DNR's website. Think Snow!

snoluver1

Jeff, I could't sign him up on the same day you did because of football. I think I'm going to go to the fox lake course in oct.

wags

Without going back and reading all the posts does anyone know what the cut-off year/date is for needing a Safety Cert to ride in IL, WI and Mi?

Thanks,
Dan

sjshaner

Direct from the Illinois DNR Website:

"On October 2, 1975, a State law was passed that requires persons at least twelve years of age and less than sixteen years of age may operate a snowmobile only if:

*they have in possession a valid Snowmobile Safety Education Certificate of Competency issued by the Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Division of Education.

*or they are accompanied on the snowmobile by a parent or guardian or person at least sixteen years of age designated by a parent or guardian."

From the Wisconsin DNR website:

"Snowmobile Age Requirements
Who may operate a snowmobile? -- Any person who is born on or after January 1, 1985 and who has reached the age of 12, must have completed and received a snowmobile safety certificate in order to operate a snowmobile in Wisconsin. The certificate must be carried while operating the snowmobile, and displayed to a law enforcement officer upon demand.

Check class availablility: Upcoming Courses

This does not apply to the operation of snowmobiles upon lands owned or leased by the operator's parent or guardian. As used in this section, "leased lands" does not include lands leased by an organization of which said operator or the operator's parent or guardian is a member.

No person under the age of 12 years may operate a snowmobile unless the person is accompanied either by a parent or guardian or by a person over 18 years of age. Accompanied means to be on the same snowmobile as the operator.

Other states and Provinces that issue a snowmobile safety certificate to snowmobilers will be honored in Wisconsin."

From the Michigan DNR website:

"Required Snowmobile Safety Course

You must successfully complete a snowmobile safety course if you are:
A person who is at least 12 but less than 17 years of age operating a snowmobile without direct supervision of a person 21 years of age or older must have in their immediate possession a valid snowmobile safety certificate.
A person who is at least 12 but less than 17 years of age may not cross a highway or street without having a valid snowmobile safety certificate in their immediate possession.
Snowmobile safety training is recommended for all snowmobile operators. Modern snowmobiles are capable of high rates of speeds over snow and ice. With the countless hazards associated with operating a snowmobile, training is a crucial factor in safe and responsible snowmobile operation.

Michigan Conservation Officers, in cooperation with schools, organizations and associations, take an active role in assuring that all of Michigan's citizens are given the opportunity to take a snowmobile safety course. The course emphasizes safe and responsible snowmobile operation."

Hope this helps. Further information can be found on each of their respective websites.

Steve

einne

just be sure they carry it on them. the authority doesnt to kind that parents carry for them. and dont lose it. been told it can take some time to get replacement. at least Illinois ones.

t_man

Does anyone know for sure if MN will honor out of state safety certificates? I searched the MN DNR site and couldn't tell for sure. My son and I are heading to MI to take the course there next weekend. We're planning to sled in MN over the holidays. I assume MN would honor the MI certificate but I can't find anything that says one way or the other.