Snowmobiler hit by Car

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
A reminder for all of us when crossing roads. Stop and Look both ways. Always!

NEWBOLD, Wis. (WFRV) – One person is dead after a group of snowmobilers attempted to cross Wisconsin Highway 47 and were hit by a vehicle.

According to the Oneida County Sheriff’s Office, on Thursday, January 26, 2023, deputies responded to a call of a snowmobile accident near the intersection of WIS 47 and Bridge Road in the Town of Newbold.

Upon arrival, authorities were able to determine that a group of snowmobilers were crossing WIS 47. However, the last snowmobile in the group was hit by a southbound vehicle.

As a result of the collision, a 57-year-old man was pronounced dead on the scene. The driver of the vehicle was treated for minor injuries by the Rhinelander Fire Department and released from the scene.

The names of the snowmobilers and the driver are not being released at this time. The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources is completing an accident report.

goofy600

Very sad to hear. Prayers for his family. With that being said, I actually had somewhat of a close call yesterday crossing a road about 4:30ish didn’t see car at first glance because it didn’t have headlights on and it was at that time of the day. Thank god I took a second look and hit the breaks but it did get the heart rate up. So people please be careful and look twice especially at that twilight hour where things blend together.

Sad to hear, but I don't understand why all cars headlights aren't on when the vehicle is running. should be a law, they have laws on seat belts, why not headlights? I made that mandatory to my boys when they started driving to have there headlights on

dfattack

Oh man. I read the thread title too quick and thought it said snobuilder. :oops:

for sure a sad situation. I honestly think about that situation almost every time we cross a road. There are times if I see a vehicle and know I can make it but the sleds behind me cannot I wait anyway so they don't try or don't bother looking.

pclark

Please stop completely and look before proceeding!, the issue up here is that the snowbanks are so high drivers of vehicles can't see the snowmobiles and if that is happening then the sleds can't see the cars. Had a guy today in Minocqua come to a rolling stop right infront of my truck, he was lucky that I saw him coming. Be smart and be safe people, the trails are awesome and we would like to see you enjoy them and not be a casualty!

snobuilder

Oh man. I read the thread title too quick and thought it said snobuilder. :oops:

for sure a sad situation. I honestly think about that situation almost every time we cross a road. There are times if I see a vehicle and know I can make it but the sleds behind me cannot I wait anyway so they don't try or don't bother looking.
LOL....Some years back I almost did get bipped by a car and sad to say it was my fault. Grey day, car and pavement. I actually snapped off the brake handle in a panic stop.

snobuilder

I get across and point in the direction of any cars I see. I used to wave the next guy in line to come across because I think it is clear, I don't do that anymore.

racerx

Just happened to get an email blast from the DNR to be safe while snowmobiling and the mentioned 5 deaths this year. So I checked the report and looks like there was another death yesterday in Phelps as a #2 sled rear ended #1. Very sad for all involved.

whitedust

Just happened to get an email blast from the DNR to be safe while snowmobiling and the mentioned 5 deaths this year. So I checked the report and looks like there was another death yesterday in Phelps as a #2 sled rear ended #1. Very sad for all involved.
What happened my old stomping grounds??

stormbringer

RIP. May God Bless those who morn.

4 killed in 4 days in northern Wisconsin snowmobile crashes​

It’s been a deadly stretch of days on Wisconsin’s snowmobile trails. Four fatal crashes occurred between Thursday and Sunday.

The first crash was reported on Thursday. A 59-year-old died when she rear-ended the lead snowmobile in a group. The crash happened near Phelps in Vilas County.

Also on Thursday, a 57-year-old man died while attempting to cross a highway with a group of snowmobiles. Investigators said Michael Green, 57, was attempting to cross Highway 47 near McNaughton when he was struck by a vehicle. The crash happened near Bridge Road in the town of Newbold.

On Friday, a 41-year-old man died while attempting to pass another snowmobile north of Tomahawk in the town of Nokomis. Matthew Finstrom, of Plainfield, Illinois died when he was ejected.

On Sunday evening, a snowmobiler struck a tree in Arbor Vitae and died at the scene.

All the crashes are still under investigation.

hermie

Just too much of this going on! However for all of the above RIP. May God Bless those who morn.
Definitely way too much of this going on and all of them seem avoidable if people would just slow down a little. Every time I read about another deaf reconfirms for me personally why me and my wife also wear a Tek Vest. I am not saying they would of lived if wearing one but gives you a little better odds. For those who have passed RIP and those who are left behind God Bless.