Son's first trip up North!! - need help!

mx2sno

Guys - I need some help. I posted on here a couple of weeks ago. We couldn't get out to go sleddin' until this weekend. As stated in other post, this will be the first trip up North for my son.....to ride his own sled.

Any suggestions of best trail conditions would be greatly appreciated!! Thinking Northern WI or UP. Please let me know how snow/trail conditions are.

Also - need place to stay - any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave

Sledhead!

I think the UP has the most snow. I like staying on Lake Gogebic. A lot of guys think this area is overcrowded, but I think those guys are mostly the mountain sledders (they like to play off the beaten path:)

I like LG because you have several places to stay and multiple food/beverage options close by. I have stayed at the Root Cellar (very good food) and the place is newer and clean. I have stayed at Timber Resort, that is less expensive, but not the greatest. I have heard the Walleye Lodge is decent as well.

From LG, you can easily hit Lake in the Clouds, Twin Lakes, Bruce's Crossing, convenient spot to hit anywhere.

One of my favorite trails to to take the 8 East to the 107 I think. Stop in for a Sloppy Hoppy burger at Hoppys, take the 107 back around up to the bottom of LG, that is a great rip. Trail 8 is kind of boring (15 or so miles of rail grade, but it gets much better)

When you click on the trail cam network you can find Gogebic area, Tom from Berglund Bay Bar tells it like it is based off of the intel he hears from the sledders that come in daily to eat/drink at his bar:)

Have fun, wish I was going back!

mx2sno

Sledhead! - Thanks so much for the info!!

t_man - Great Questions - I should have clarified in my post his experience/ability. My son is 13 and has been riding since he was 2. This kid loves to ride sleds and bikes and is a very good rider. He is finally "legal" so I can take him on a trip away from home riding. He has a lot of experience riding and has great control of the sled and throttle.

mx2sno

Anyone have condition report for the St. Gemain/Sayner/Eagle River area? Or any area that is real good still for this weekend in Northern WI?

Trying to get an idea of both areas, then make a decision. Thanks.

sledhd1

I would recommend going to Lake Nokomis just north of Tomahawk and staying at the Best Western and riding plenty of options especially to the northwest and good trails. pick up a map and go to Swamp lake and ask Fuzzy where to go he knows the area better than anyone tell him you want to go to the Willow region

helenmarchbank

Totally agree....

I would recommend going to Lake Nokomis just north of Tomahawk and staying at the Best Western and riding plenty of options especially to the northwest and good trails. pick up a map and go to Swamp lake and ask Fuzzy where to go he knows the area better than anyone tell him you want to go to the Willow region

Totally agree... nice trails and lots of places to stop in the Lake Nokomis-Swamp Lake-Willows area.

whitedust

Eagle River area good to go this weekend but don't put trip off again next weekend will be a crap shoot.

msleder

Bayfield County should be good this weekend. Just received some fresh snow 3 to 5 inches and everything should be freshly groomed.

dogflog

Hi Dave,

I just returned from the UP yesterday and had great, white, flat, firm trails. We rode from Greenland to Copper Harbor on Monday and Greenland to Big Bay on Tuesday. They got about 3" to 6" of fresh snow Tuesday and Wednesday. I also have a great cabin reference for you if you want.

My son started riding northern trails at 12. It's a great family activity.

Happy Trails. Glenn

ridindirty800

I took my step son up for his first time this year to the cabin in Florence Co Wi. Great trails never to busy and always seem to be smooth. While the stops are a little further apart then the North central/West side of the state i love snowmobiling this area.

I took my oldest to the UP twice this year and was his first year riding his own sled also. We stayed on LG. Some great places to stop, eat and warm up weather permitting. Lake of the Clouds and back is easily rideable in a day. We enjoyed taking 1 on the west side on of the lake to Marinesco, eat and/or have a beverage at the Café or bar, then take 2 east, then 13 back north to LG. Or take 2 north to Wakefield and back to LG. Another nice loop would be to Rockland then 13 south to Bruce Crossing and then 8 back to the lake. Enjoy and get him hooked.

Kmrobb

If you're looking for more of a ride with lots of stops, I'd stick to somewhere in WI. If you're looking for less traffic, and are ok with longer areas without stopping and more miles take him to the UP.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Dave,

I just returned from the UP yesterday and had great, white, flat, firm trails. We rode from Greenland to Copper Harbor on Monday and Greenland to Big Bay on Tuesday. They got about 3" to 6" of fresh snow Tuesday and Wednesday. I also have a great cabin reference for you if you want.

My son started riding northern trails at 12. It's a great family activity.

Happy Trails. Glenn

That looks like an amazing trip Glenn. How many miles did you put on?!?

snowhawg

I find that Land O' Lakes, WI is my favorite. Being right on the WI/UP border you've got great trails in any direction you choose to go.

dogflog

Good morning, kmrobb.

Each trip was about 225 miles round-trip. They were feasible due to the great trail conditions. Both days we left with the attitude that we would turn-around or choose a different destination if the trails got rough. Every time we encountered a few chatters, we met a groomer and kept going. Limited bar stops helped as well.

Happy Trails, Glenn