Spray Foam Insulation - Closed Cell VS Open Cell

dmsrx

I've decided to use spray foam insulation on my shop walls. It is a Morton Pole building. I've read about all I can and have pretty much decided on closed cell instead of open cell. Just thought before I completely made up my mind I would ask some opinions from this site.

The quotes I have are 4700. for 3" open cell, 6900. for 2" closed cell and 7800. for 1 1/2" closed cell.

The company that is 7800. has foam with a Honeywell gas in the bubbles that is supposed to be an insulator. The 6900.00 company has air in the foam bubbles. Does it really matter?

It sounds like closed cell has too many good qualities like R value, adding strength to the structure, waterproof etc., not to use but it will be a 2200.00 difference in price.

Am I off base in my thinking? I'll add the price difference isn't an issue.

Thanks and fire away.

catshed

open cell is a good product it is good for noise control but not to step on toes here but in my area 4" is usually the norm here in Ia. also do you plan on putting any thing on the walls to line the inside because the foam is soft and can be damaged. Now closed cell you can't hardly go wrong it is durable and can be painted and water won't harm it but won't be near as quiet as open cell they both have their qualities and work very well

dmsrx

Yes, I am going to put OSB board on the walls. Had that in the shop I tore down. I did read that the open cell was quiet. I thought the same about the thickness and was originally told I only needed 1" because walls don't need as high an R value. These two companies are pretty close with the closed cell amount. Thanks for the input.

catalac

What is the size of your building?
I have 8ft. between each post on my building, would I have to put some studs between them, or what are you doing?

catshed

Yes on walls you don't need to put as much on but with 4" you are at about a R-15 give or take dependant on maufacturer and that is for open cell. closed cell @ 1.5" about R-11, with foam though it's about air infiltration and hot and cold transfer which is so close to 0, that is what makes foam better that is why the R value is not that big of a deal

dmsrx

The building is 66 X 80 with 14ft. side walls. It is about 7ft. between posts and about 7 1/2" deep. I have it studded out so if I use closed cell there will be a gap between the studs and foam, open will probably touch the studs. I am going to wire after the foam is in so the wiring isn't trapped in the foam.
That is what I've read about the R value. Thanks for confirming it. It makes sense but after all the years of being told you had to have so much insulation in the walls 1.5 inches doesn't sound right. Thanks for the replies.

mccaleb

Closed cell is the way to go. There is almost 0% penetration of moisture so it acts as a vapor barrier also. Open cell I believe when I was looking at was somewhere around 2%. I would check with manufacture. I have built 3 homes with spray foam and it is the only way to go in my opinion if you can afford it.

luke_duke

I'm in the process of building my garage now and need to contact the insulation guys to get on the list. I have been kicking these same ideas around now too. My garage is 52 by 36 with 2by6 studs every 16 inches. I was thinking about going 2 inches of the closes cell and then finishing it with blown insulation. Any thoughts? I was told not to use batting cause of the possibility of moisture getting in walls from the inside especially if you much water in the inside. I think I might be filling the whole wall with open cell and calling it good since that is what the insulation guy recommended also. The blown insulation with the closed cell might be the way to go but it gets pretty pricey doing both