Spray foam

L

lenny

Howdy John, some time back you were telling me about you personally doing the spray foam insulation at your house. Did you find a substantial saving by DIY? I called the place in Calumet and they were a buck a foot 1" thick. Me pricing it out on line was not much cheaper. Just curious what you may have used and how it all worked out.

Last edited:

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Lenny.

I did price things out and there is only a minimal price savings if you go the DIY way. Not sure if the price you got for the DIY spray foam kit included shipping, but make sure, as the company I used (Tiger Foam) tacks on around $100 for shipping.

I would probably recommend that you go with Superior Polymer out of Calumet. They do a great job, even going so far as to caulk areas between multiple studs (Kings, Queens, Jacks) to stop air infiltration where the foam will not go. Plus they scrape all the studs clean once they are done so that things are already for drywall or what ever interior wall material you are going to use. Not sure if you are really looking for the highest R-value, but if you are, then I would suggest you go with the closed cell foam (they do both). It is a bit more expensive, but you do get a much higher R-value/inch, plus it acts as a structural material, by stiffening the cavities it gets sprayed into.

-John

L

lenny

Thanks for the info John. I was told by the guy in Calumet that they get a R-7 pr inch of closed cell foam and that is incredible. Hopefully I will be able to budget well enough because the return will be well worth it.

sweeperguy

I did spray foam, closed cell, back in like mid 90,s, just a few years before selling it. in the basement of my 1st house. It was a stacked rubble foundation. Before it was cold, dank basement, could hardly even get my wife down there to do laundry. After it was really comfortable, and made it look 100x better. Didn't even bother covering it just left as is. Was best money I ever spent on that house. When I built the house next door I used ICF, insulated concrete forms for the basement. Probably best basement walls you can do. The old house was just about as comfortable downstairs as the new one, except for finishing the basement in the new house.

L

lenny

Thanks John for the contact. SP showed up a little bit ago and are spraying today and tomorrow, can't wait to see it all sealed up, thanks for hookin me up with these guys

Attachments

• image-2945570258.jpg
    image-2945570258.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 66

jd

Administrator
Staff member
That's great Lenny. I think that you will love it. No more drafts anywhere.

My heat kicked in for around 30 minutes this morning during this latest cold spell, otherwise it has been off.

-John

L

lenny

Unbelievable how this stuff seals up everything

Attachments

• image-710312684.jpg
    image-710312684.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 62
  • image-82878522.jpg
    image-82878522.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 62
  • image-4146821933.jpg
    image-4146821933.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 64
L

lenny

come on Wanyey baby, jump into the 21st century! Where the hot and cold meet is where the moisture collects and without the introduction of cold into the wall cavity the moisture stays where it is going to produce the least amount of damage. Here's an example: I have been working on a job part time for many months now and it is a wood structure with house wrap and fiberglass insulation. The cold air infiltrates the insulated cavity and because of the breath-ability of the fiberglass we have mold all over the inside of the exterior sheeting because the cold made it's way in quickly into the wall cavity close to the heated interior of the home. The temp differentiation occurs in the cavity and thus a real problem. The foam insulation reduces the infiltration to nothing basically so little to no moisture. Spray foam is so much better than fiberglass to the point that fiberglass is a complete waste. I do like the cellulose very much because it performs much like foam reducing infiltration of cold air. Fiberglass is poor in performance and engineering,,,,,,,,,,,in fact the concept is majorly flawed. The worst case of construction is plastic stapled to interior wall studs with fiberglass. You couldn't give me a house built like that.

polarisrider1

come on Wanyey baby, jump into the 21st century! Where the hot and cold meet is where the moisture collects and without the introduction of cold into the wall cavity the moisture stays where it is going to produce the least amount of damage. Here's an example: I have been working on a job part time for many months now and it is a wood structure with house wrap and fiberglass insulation. The cold air infiltrates the insulated cavity and because of the breath-ability of the fiberglass we have mold all over the inside of the exterior sheeting because the cold made it's way in quickly into the wall cavity close to the heated interior of the home. The temp differentiation occurs in the cavity and thus a real problem. The foam insulation reduces the infiltration to nothing basically so little to no moisture. Spray foam is so much better than fiberglass to the point that fiberglass is a complete waste. I do like the cellulose very much because it performs much like foam reducing infiltration of cold air. Fiberglass is poor in performance and engineering,,,,,,,,,,,in fact the concept is majorly flawed. The worst case of construction is plastic stapled to interior wall studs with fiberglass. You couldn't give me a house built like that.

I never mentioned fiberglass???

L

lenny

honestly, I don't know what I'm talking about but think I do. There's a lot of science that I don't understand but seems that a good thermal barrier is a benefit and out performs a poor thermal barrier.

I think a lot has to do with the prolific contraction of hemoglobin in conjunction to the rectification of the catatonic atmosphere. Sometimes cataclysmic appositive subatomic elements coagulate in a massive amount of clerical linguistic ,,,,um,,,,,,you know,,,,corrugation!

Last edited: