Spring slides

muskieswen

How much play should there be in the spring slides of a 1998 zl 500 artic cat. The ones I have seem to wobble back and forth on the frame.

bedgar7

If there are large amounts of slop they should be replaced. But even new they have a fair amount of slop, for some reason they have a huge tolerance between the aluminum post and the plastic slide block. What I did was make my own aluminum post that fit the plastic block with a nice slip fit, and since it cant flop around now it has lasted several seasons, not just one.

obob

The plastic slides wear And also the aluminum Posts also wear alot. When i bought new plastics then i realized i should have gotten the aluminum posts as well.

zrjes

Have you ever replaced these springs or are they the original Springs?

Like others have said the plastic bushing underneath the spring also wears out. I have had very good luck with the Spring tension adjustment blocks, Aluminum ones last for quite a long time. You can order

You have several options for replacement Springs that are firmer than the stock springs

Stack

muskieswen

zrjes,
I just put on new springs and replaced the spring slides. The new spring slides are way better. Thanks for the info people!