Steamboat Lake ride

nitroman

Just got back from Steamboat lake. We stayed at SLO in the 2 modern cabins and the were quite nice. Rode 4 days and really only saw maybe a dozen other sleds. The first day we stuck close to the trails until we figured out the area. Days 2 and 3 were spent in the drainages and tree's on the north side with untracked powder everywhere. Day 4 we took the south trail and found some huge open bowls and valley's of untouched deep pow it was absolutley perfect. Steamboat Springs is not a sledder friendly town and there were no shortages of dirty looks and rude comments while we were parked at the safeway getting grocery's. While eating lunch on the mountain near the road one day we were told to go home by one vehicle and given the finger by others. All in all it was a great trip with great snow and really warm weather and I will go back someday!

Attachments

• Colorado 004.jpg
    Colorado 004.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 118
  • colorado 2 009.jpg
    colorado 2 009.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 109
  • colorado 2 010.jpg
    colorado 2 010.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 105
  • colorado 2 026.jpg
    colorado 2 026.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 120
  • colorado 2 027.jpg
    colorado 2 027.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 115

nitroman

more pics

Attachments

• colorado 2 007.jpg
    colorado 2 007.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 74
  • colorado 2 015.jpg
    colorado 2 015.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 75
  • colorado 2 030.jpg
    colorado 2 030.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 77
  • colorado 2 032.jpg
    colorado 2 032.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 75
  • colorado 2 037.jpg
    colorado 2 037.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 70

nitroman

even more

Attachments

• Colorado 015.jpg
    Colorado 015.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 80
  • Colorado 020.jpg
    Colorado 020.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 83
  • Colorado 031.jpg
    Colorado 031.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 80
  • Colorado 032.jpg
    Colorado 032.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 93
  • Colorado 034.jpg
    Colorado 034.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 80

nitroman

last ones

Attachments

• Colorado 038.jpg
    Colorado 038.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Colorado 057.jpg
    Colorado 057.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 60
  • Colorado 060.jpg
    Colorado 060.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 100_1504.jpg
    100_1504.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Colorado 062.jpg
    Colorado 062.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 76

311hemi

Nice pics....looks like a blast. We leave for Grand Lake this Sunday.....hoping we can find some snow like this although reports I have been getting are not all that great. We will find out soon enough.

Did you happen to hear any info on conditions in other areas like Rabbit Ears or anything?

nitroman

Ears was absolutly tore up. When we went by on Saturday there was no place to even park and every inch of snow we could see was tracked up they need a fresh dump. The reports we got said Steamboat snow was not good either but as you can see it was anything but.

Just got back from Steamboat lake. We stayed at SLO in the 2 modern cabins and the were quite nice. Rode 4 days and really only saw maybe a dozen other sleds. The first day we stuck close to the trails until we figured out the area. Days 2 and 3 were spent in the drainages and tree's on the north side with untracked powder everywhere. Day 4 we took the south trail and found some huge open bowls and valley's of untouched deep pow it was absolutley perfect. Steamboat Springs is not a sledder friendly town and there were no shortages of dirty looks and rude comments while we were parked at the safeway getting grocery's. While eating lunch on the mountain near the road one day we were told to go home by one vehicle and given the finger by others. All in all it was a great trip with great snow and really warm weather and I will go back someday!

Awesome! Looks like fun time! Too bad folks were rude to you guys. I don't get that... aren't there enough wilderness / no motorized vehicle areas out there for them?

getsome

Nice pics....looks like a blast. We leave for Grand Lake this Sunday.....hoping we can find some snow like this although reports I have been getting are not all that great. We will find out soon enough.

Did you happen to hear any info on conditions in other areas like Rabbit Ears or anything?

Also heading to Grand Lake thurs. Jan 28 Snow conditions suk.

Was thinking about driving over to Steamboat, also.

Post and update after you get there, Eh ? thanx.

skeedoo

My buddies and I leave Feb. 6th for Grand Lake. Hoping for lots of snow before then!! Please keep an update going on that area. Thanks

311hemi

Also heading to Grand Lake thurs. Jan 28 Snow conditions suk.

Was thinking about driving over to Steamboat, also.

Post and update after you get there, Eh ? thanx.

Don't ask me how but I was a week off on the date of our trip...we don't leave until this Sunday. That's a good thing because they are calling for a little snow.....but less in the GL area.

Grand Mesa is getting hit pretty good this week....we may try to change our reservations once we arrive. Up to the guys that set the trip up though.....I'm just along for the ride!

getsome

Steamboat Springs Area

Locals say the snow has been falling steady.

311hemi has been posting over on Snowest.

Might blow in some more snow by the weekend. Things are looking up !

"gotta ride in Denver tomorrow night...."

getsome

Grand Lake

Just got home from Grand Lake,CO. last night, snow is worst I have seen. Need alot more to cover the backcountry. Trails of course get more snow towards the top. Maybe get something this week. Not good.

skeedoo

Hey Getsome,
Did you only stay around the Grand Lake area? There's lots of other places within not to far a drive (1.5-3 hours) that has tons of snow offtrail. It sucks Grand Lake is not the place to be because we were headed there the day after the Colts win the Superbowl, but we have changed our reservations to be in the deep powder elsewhere in Colorado. Sorry to hear you had bad western experience - thats rare!!

getsome

Hey Getsome,
Did you only stay around the Grand Lake area? There's lots of other places within not to far a drive (1.5-3 hours) that has tons of snow offtrail. It sucks Grand Lake is not the place to be because we were headed there the day after the Colts win the Superbowl, but we have changed our reservations to be in the deep powder elsewhere in Colorado. Sorry to hear you had bad western experience - thats rare!!

We ended up riding 2 days up to Rabbit Ears. I just wanted to report that the conditions around Grand Lake were dismal. We had a great weekend.

getsome

Rabbit Ears

Good snow here.

20100129_0046.jpg