Steering wheel "shimmy"

wags

After rotating the tires I noticed a slight "shimmy" in the steering wheel at about 53mph. I took it in and they checked the balance on the tires and found 1 off but only be a smidge. I haven’t driven the car myself my kids use it to go to and from school and soccer practice so not much is any highway driving. Yesterday I took the car to the store and got her up to 60 no problem but then at 62-63 it started shimming again.

Tire balance, alignment what ya think?

The tires and rims are 2yrs old and have been rotated every 6k and show no abnormal wear, when on a straightaway she tracks straight as an arrow and when breaking there is no pull what so ever.

Thanks in advance for any input.

There are the typical problems like cord seperation low tire pressure suspension issues front steering issues.
I had a Ranger that had a problem similar to that and it ended up being a wheel bearing that Ford never found two set of tires I had them both road forced balanced Road force and just could not find the problem Had the truck for 90K and it just kept getting loader and louder than the lease ended

I also had a Subaru that would pull when the tire got rotated for the first 1000 miles even though the slignment was good That one I just didn't get

Last edited:

maxwell

Some vehicles have a 53 or 62 mph shake. My commuter car "dodge neon" had a shake @ 62mph. Above or below that speed was fine.

Try balancing the tires to a smaller weight differential. most shops use 1/4oz weights, but some will go down to 1/16 oz. this cures the problem on my neon, but may not be worth the extra money to you.

toby1

if it is a front wheel drive it could be a cv joint or to much grease in the cv boot .the grease gets off to one side putting it out of balance mainly at higher speeds .hope this helps .