street bike on #3? what could go wrong?!

towtruck

still waiting for my brother to give up his 07 KTM street legal 530- it's the perfect bike but it is not in my hands yet-
I plan on riding my 1982 XJ 750 yamaha down #3 from Mass City to copper harbor- with trial pass of coarse.
I know I will not want to go down that rocky hill in to Houghton (I can jump on the road early) but I don't know the trial real well after Calumet, are there a lot of hazards and can I get off the trail and use the road to get around them? I ride a lot of gravel and dirt with this bike and works surprising well even at speed but I really don't want to get in a bad situation because at this point no one is interested in going with me !
Sept 10th AND Oct 1st if your interested!

fish633

Motorcycles are not allowed north of calumet IIRC.If you are plated than no trail pass is required.Yes the trail is pretty rough as you go north,full of the "roller's"round rocks that move around when you ride over them.On a street bike you would be toast.

mezz

2 wheeled traffic has limited accessibility due to portions of the trail system being on private property. Needless to say, you're not getting through legally. Sorry....-Mezz

towtruck

Motorcycles are not allowed north of calumet IIRC.If you are plated than no trail pass is required.Yes the trail is pretty rough as you go north,full of the "roller's"round rocks that move around when you ride over them.On a street bike you would be toast.

thanks Fish- sounds like I will be on the HW more than I thought - that's ok, HW 26 and all the roads up there are great fun on a bike

- - - Updated - - -

thanks Mezz last thing I want to do is tick off land owners on trail- miles and miles of fun gravel and dirt roads up there- even the tar roads are fun on a mcycle

fish633

It's really unfortunate that two wheelers can't ride all the way up to the harbor,private property is private property.Last October A friend and I did a saddle bag trip from Hurley to Houghton,overnighted at the wildlife refuge then rode on to the harbor.Friend was on 4 wheels I was on two.The next morning I parked the bike at M&M rented 4 wheeler rode to the harbor and back.Returned to Hurley the next day.

towtruck

just noticed I never reported on the results of the trip last fall - rode with my 4 wheel guys on the street bike- rode up baldy by white pine but bottomed out a lot so won't do that again, most of the logging roads and main trails worked ok but rain all day saturday so I rode in a side by side- over all went pretty good -buying 50-50 tires for the bike right now-over all on
gravel and dirt the bike works fine -not a mudder though! but I can usually get around that