Studded snow tires on front wheel drive?

indianaskidoo

I am thinking about putting studded snow tires on a front wheel drive car. Has anybody had good luck with this? Also can you just do the front since that's doing most of the work, or should the back also have studded snow tires so that the its 'balanced'.

Thanks for any input!

lotoftoys

I would'nt do do it. I think it would tough on the drive axle with with cornering. Also I thought studded tire were illegal?

whitedust

No idea why you need studded tires in IN but you would be better served by 4 blizzaks on FWD car ....will go thru anything snow & ice related.

scott_b

Interesting that they are illegal in Michigan and Wisconsin (where you may be likely to need them) but not in Indiana.

whitedust

Interesting that they are illegal in Michigan and Wisconsin (where you may be likely to need them) but not in Indiana.

They really do tear up the pavement just like track studs. All weather tires & snow tires have come along way baby really don't need studs. If you have the cash Blizzaks will amaze you.

98panther

MN has not allowed them for a long time either.

Only States where the people don't know how to drive in Winter still use them. :D

indianaskidoo

MN has not allowed them for a long time either.

Only States where the people don't know how to drive in Winter still use them. :D

That might be true....but we get lots of ice on roads because it is always that 20's nights and 30's freeze cycle

Did not realize so many states outlawed them.....

fredster

If you want to do it on the cheap get 4 firestone winterforce tires for your FWD car. They are not as quiet as the blizzaks but work pretty well. Had them on my son's Accord and had blizzaks on wife's Impala at same time and they both worked pretty well on ice and snow. Blizzaks a bit better on ice, winterforce better in deep snow, mainly due to tread design differences.

Do NOT run studs or winter tires on FRONT only - the first time you hit a curve or have a panic stop you'll spin out as the rear tires won't have any bite. Most tire stores will only install winter tires on all 4 corners due to the liability.....

Studs are legal here in Oregon from Nov. 1 through March. Being an ex-cheese head, it truly amazes me why studs are needed for pass levels around 5,000 ft. Maybe Oregonians just need to learn how to drive in snow! The Cascade Mountains are nothing compared to the Rockies where traction will save lives through the mountain passes.

Sure the roads get snow covered at pass level, but the sanders are out after a snow and all is good in a couple hours. The destruction that studs do to the highways at the lower elevations is amazing, ruts are formed in the road only after a couple years after repaving. My casual observance seems to show that most vehicles our here with studded tires are Suburbans with ski carriers on top. So 95% of the time, these vehicles are not in the mountains but down in the valley where temps. are usually around 50 degrees during the day. Status thing maybe?

HH

whitedust

What I object to in IN the semi truck drivers will not allow you to pass on the IN tollway while snowing or when there is an ice build up. They will string a few trucks together & set up the defensive line smack dab in the middle & dare you to pass shoulder right or left. I always get by sooner or later do what I have to do with good tires but then you find the next truck defensive line 10 minutes down the tollway. A real PITA if you ask me.lol I have only seen this happen in IN.

m8man

well I have some experience on this topic. 20 yrs ago while I was going to Michigan Tech, I delivered mail on a rural route in Houghton County. I saw some of the deepest snow, nasty conditions I ever thought I'd see. I had 4 winter tires all the time. One year I decided to try studded front tires. I had the Goodyear F32's and they were the studded version. They were good but not crazy good.. I would drive on the back roads (usually not plowed worth a crap for about 100 miles per day. The best success I had was running 4 good winter tires from snow season start to the end. Your vehicle, even just a FWD car, will benefit from 4 tires, it will keep the rear from sliding and help braking.

go with whatever works for you but I like the 4 tires.

m8man