Suggestions on trip to Voyager Park on up into Canada?

lakeguy10

We are starting our trip at Voyager Park and would like to head into Canada to Atikokan? Only have 3 days..anyone have any suggestions on where to go and where NOT to go? I have gone down to the Arrowhead and the Gunflint many times, so I don't need to see that. Any help would greatly be appreciated...the 4 of us are going up the 2nd weekend in February 2018.

old abe

We are starting our trip at Voyager Park and would like to head into Canada to Atikokan? Only have 3 days..anyone have any suggestions on where to go and where NOT to go? I have gone down to the Arrowhead and the Gunflint many times, so I don't need to see that. Any help would greatly be appreciated...the 4 of us are going up the 2nd weekend in February 2018.
Contact the clubs in Atikokan. They used to have a advertised loop like you want to do. Goggle Atikokan loop, and see what comes up.

bearrassler

I have not ridden the Canadian side up in that area but have seen the trail sign on Namakan Lake to head to Atikokan. The trail # is L901M, if you went to Atikokan you can then head to the west on trail #A113A back to Ft Frances and cross the border back to I Falls, it is a shorter loop in Canada compared to the one that old abe mentioned and would be better for a 3 day ride. Ontario has a free pass weekend around that time frame but I am not sure of the dates. Also I am not sure if the trails are opened in Ontario yet around Atikokan. The snow should be OK in that area now.

old abe

I have not ridden the Canadian side up in that area but have seen the trail sign on Namakan Lake to head to Atikokan. The trail # is L901M, if you went to Atikokan you can then head to the west on trail #A113A back to Ft Frances and cross the border back to I Falls, it is a shorter loop in Canada compared to the one that old abe mentioned and would be better for a 3 day ride. Ontario has a free pass weekend around that time frame but I am not sure of the dates. Also I am not sure if the trails are opened in Ontario yet around Atikokan. The snow should be OK in that area now.

Bearrassler, we may talking the same loop I am thinking??? Idk4s. How ever the free pass weekend is usually the 3rd weekend of Feb. OFSC should have it listed by now I would think.

bearrassler

Bearrassler, we may talking the same loop I am thinking??? Idk4s. How ever the free pass weekend is usually the 3rd weekend of Feb. OFSC should have it listed by now I would think.

old abe, the one that they promote crosses the border at Namakan Lake but once you get to Atikokan it goes east and south and crosses back into MN at Gunflint Lake, it is quite a bit longer route than the one that I mentioned.

catguy

If you plan to take the Canadian L902M I caution you to take great care to find the current condition of the trail. A friend and I did this a couple years ago and had lots of difficulty with the trail as it hadn't been brushed for several years. We wound up turning back to Northern Lights resort and convinced (paid) the owner to trailer us to Atikokan. Long story...I believe that they are now maintaining it again. If you haven't ever been to these areas, I just caution you, I have never in my life experienced such remote territory! Not trying to turn you off, just make sure that you and those in your group know what you're signing up for. If something goes wrong, there is really no civilization whatsoever in this region. We were doing the Atikokan Circle Tour, its a great loop, but snowmobiling from Gunflint to Atikokan is a whole different deal (was then anyway) From Atikokan to Crane Lake (MN) is no different than normal MN riding.

I put alot of research into the trip and I do have some maps, phone numbers, etc and I'd be happy to share some info, I don't know if the numbers I have are personal or business numbers so I'd prefer to send them directly to you. bjindra81@gmail.com

Make sure to be in contact with the Atikokan Sno-hos and Thunder Bay Adventure clubs as well as Northern Light Resort And Quetico North.

You should be applying for remote boarder crossing passes and its suggested to do the loop counterclockwise as there is no US checkpoint in or near Gunflint. The folks at Gunflint lodge don't seem to be all that snowmobile friendly, perhaps it was just the guy working that day, but definetely more of a "quiet snowsports" kind of place.

oldguy

I agree with Catguy Sandpoint Lake ( Namakan Lake) were the trail starts was groomed a few years ago towards Atikokan. From Atikokan east I have no idea. The Canadians don’t seem start grooming until February from what I’ve seen. We went on the trail to Aitkokan, I think it was 2 years ago on the free weekend. We just went down the trail as far as a tank of gas would get us back to Crane lake that day. I have seen the stakes up last year on the northern part of Rainy Lake that Bearrassler mentioned if you take the other loop A113A back to Fort Frances..

The remote border crossing permit takes 4 weeks. The only remote border crossing check point that you can snowmobile to I know of coming back to the US is in Crane Lake. They are talking about cutting back winter hours at that place. We’ll be going up there Sunday and again in a few weeks, but we don’t ride the trails, just logging roads and lakes north of Fort Frances. A buddy has a remote cabin up there.

old abe

old abe, the one that they promote crosses the border at Namakan Lake but once you get to Atikokan it goes east and south and crosses back into MN at Gunflint Lake, it is quite a bit longer route than the one that I mentioned.

Thanks for the info bearrassler, I am going to do some research to see if the east Atikokan loop would be a can do this late Feb. Not really interested in unbrushed, trees down, unmaintained, bad situation making trails!!! I am old enough now to know not to go looking for trouble!!!