Synoptic Wasteland

Willh

Hi,

I've been noticing over the past year or two that large scale weather events tend to skirt just to the south of the Keweenaw and Marquette - leaving those areas on the northern periphery of precipitation, whether rain or snow, and sometimes entirely out of it altogether due to a sharp cutoff.

My question is - is this just a random inexplicable upper air pattern or is this a more pronounced long term climatological trend (ie, the way things tend to work in this region). I've looked through historical observations for the whole region, even up to Lake Nipigon and while there is a slight increase in long term precip averages over the southern UP, etc - it doesn't seem to be anything that major.

I guess to be more clear, what I'm wondering is there tends to be 2 (sometimes 3) tracks of precipitation across N. America - 1 and 2 (sometimes separate, sometimes together) sweep through the south and through the plains and midwest and a 3rd that skirts just north of the border through central Manitoba through Ont, Quebec and Labrador around 52-55 degrees Latitude. I don't know if there's any truth to that - it's just an arbitrary-ish observation of mine - but I'm wondering if the Keweenaw is in between two paths for synoptic weather events - or if the trend the past few months/year is just arbitrary and not representative of any over arching theme for the area.

Just wondering.

~ Will

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Will.

Good observation and great question. I honestly believe that is is just an arbitrary trend and not some long term or even climatological happening. Our stormy pattern from the autumn and winter has just given way to a quieter pattern for us.

-John