System snows?

arcticgeorge

Hi John, Why hasn't there been any real system snows? I thought it was supposed to be an active year for them? We haven't had one good dumper from any system snows in the far Western UP, Northern Wisconsin and Illinois. There have been several good lake effect snows here. Thanks in advanced for your reply...

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure where you heard it was suppose to be an active year for system snows. Pretty hard to forecast something like that on a seasonal basis.

With that said, MN has seen it's fair share of system snows and the amount of system snows is not that far behind for the rest of the Midwest, problem was the thaw around New Years ate much of it up, so areas had to nearly start over.

I will say that there has been an absence of big system snows, but perhaps Mother Nature is holding those off until spring.

-John

arcticgeorge

Not sure where you heard it was suppose to be an active year for system snows. Pretty hard to forecast something like that on a seasonal basis.

With that said, MN has seen it's fair share of system snows and the amount of system snows is not that far behind for the rest of the Midwest, problem was the thaw around New Years ate much of it up, so areas had to nearly start over. -

I will say that there has been an absence of big system snows, but perhaps Mother Nature is holding those off until spring. -John.
...................................................................................................ok I guess it was my understanding that with the La Nina pattern in place we would have the cold weather and we would be in the path to receive the storms from the west .No second reply needed,(cause i know your busy) thanks again.