Tech talk

alley mechanic

We have a 98 skidoo mxz 440 fan and have the electric start kit installed on it about 9 years ago. Before last winter when i was bringing it out of storage .i started it up and found some arcing from the 4 wire connector which i belive is coming from the stater.after i pulled it apart so i could get at it i found the plastic plug melted, and the yellow and brown lead was arcing on the clip that was holding the plug., so i orderd a new one from ski ski doo and installed it. Everything looked and ran in the garage but did not have time to talk it out on the trail. I just got it back out from storage and started it up and felt the wires at the connector they get just a tad warm with the handwarmers on and thume warmer on full , is this normal, also the charge voltage going to the battery is about 13 volts on iddle and 14.50 at 2000 rpm is normal for chargeing the battery any information will be helpfull.

Last edited:

jimfsr

Your charging voltage sounds right. As far as the wires getting warm, there is a lot of wattage with everything on high, so it could get a little warm. As to the melting of the old harness, a little corrosion in there will greatly increase the resitance, and the heat in a circuit, possibly enough to cause it to melt and arc. I would use dielectric grease to keep it from corroding in the future.