Temps and snow

sp123

here in the keweenaw its almost 40 degree's but in wisconsin even chicago and minn its in the teens and 20's some even in the singles how is this possible why are we snow warm and some places might get 18 inches and were getting rain and only suppose to get a few how is this possible

A

admin

sp123-

This storm was so wrapped up that it actually took the warm air that typically stays to the south and east of a low and brought it all the way to the north and northwest of the low. At the same time, it pulled the cold air in on it's west side so fast that it actually wrapped it around to the south too. So it was almost upside down from what a typical low would be like.

Even the dry air "dry slot" that typically sits on the southwest side of the low wrapped all the way around to the north and eventualy northwest sides.

This was a very unique storm alright.

-John

chords

The NWS had predicted that low to dissapate over Lake Superior and reappear and head north to James Bay.
That storm was strong and wound up tight.
What would cause it to abruptly dissappear ?
Would a wall of cold, dry air, just suck all the energy out of it ?
Or did this not happen.

A

admin

chords-

I did not see where anyone was predicting the low to dissapate over Lake Superior. None of the models indicated it to occur either.

Perhaps they were talking about the weak surface low that was tracking across the northern Plains and MN. That one was basically absorbed by the low coming up from the SW.

The only thing that will cause a low to dissipate is when it looses it's upper air support.

-John

chords

Hmmm, I know I read that yesterday on NWS and thought it was odd, but as Ernie H. would say.. its lonnggg gone.

Thanks and Happy New Year