temps

L

lenny

Howdy John

I was wondering about something during this warm-up we're having. Yesterday and today NWS called for a high temp but that temp was exceeded by almost 10 degrees and the same for today but not as far off. Is it just poor prediction or what. I am curious as to the dynamics of this offset, if I could understand it.

Lenny

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Lenny-

I was pretty busy with some other things Wednesday and yesterday, so was not able to see exactly all that caused the warmer temps, but I think Wednesday was just the "perfect storm" of ingredients to crank the temps into the nose bleed section. The Houghton County Airport not only set a record for the day, but the month. Yesterday's highs were very close to what was forecasted here.

-John

Don't really want to butt in here John...but on Wednesday, when some of the Keweenaw reporting stations were showing temps in the mid and upper 60's, the NWS in Marquette actually commented on it and pretty much called it the perfect set of occurrences. No cloud cover. Very light winds. Lower humidity. There was another condition they mentioned, but my CRS syndrome has kicked in. :) I was AMAZED as I watched the temperatures sky rocket Wednesday afternoon, including your own weather station.

chords

A couple of West UP NWS stations reported highs of 67* and 69* that afternoon. If only the Forest Ranger had crouched down a bit more he could have recorded 70 on his old mercury dial !