The Cat is Back

skiroule

In future years, I promise I will stop spamming the site with my goofy little videos but this season has been kind of special for me

After not being able to ride at all last season and wondering all fall if my riding days were over, I’ve just felt a need to share my joy of finally climbing on a sled and squeezing the throttle this year. So bear with me for one more end-of-season episode.

A friend of mine picked up a 72 Cheetah this winter and as often happens in the vintage world, it wasn’t quite as advertised. The center seal was shot and the carb was a mess. He replaced all the seals and got the notoriously cranky Walbro WD carb to actually pump and meter fuel.

He figured it was ready for action so we went out for an initial test ride last weekend. Beautiful day, the sleds ran great, and both old sleds and older riders made it home under their own power.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
In future years, I promise I will stop spamming the site with my goofy little videos
Kelly, you're welcome to spam all you like, actually Fried Spam is quite tasty. Your video of the Skiroule renovation last year was outstanding as were others so don't hesitate to post your future adventures.

The Cat is Back?
“Don’t you talk to that cat. That cat is a bad one, That Cat in the Hat. He plays lots of bad tricks. Don’t you let him come near. You know what he did the last time he was here. ”
Dr. Seuss

wiviperman

Thanks for sharing this! Really cool to see some "old iron" out there riding around. That Cheetah reminds me of my younger years and early days of snowmobiling, my grandpa had a 1975 Arctic Cat 340 Cheetah in the early 80's. I probably put more miles on that sled then he ever did! Grandpa's was pretty mint & treated me well all of the times that I rode it, I was very sad when he sold it.

kirk600

Cool video Kelly, looks like you were having fun which is what it's all about!
And Midwest "in the trees" is a little different than the mountains lol

D

Deleted member 10829

Geez, don't scratch up that nice TX! :) Reminds me of my years in high school riding my 1976 TX with friends that had Cats like that. Rode with Rupps and Moto Skis also. Great days. No trails, just ditch banging and river riding.

Never apologize for these Kelly, I'd be happy to see one every day! We don't get many videos or pictures on here like we used to.

skiroule

Appreciate the comments guys! It’s really fun to hear about the memories that people have of these old sleds when they weren’t so old.

I love the growl of those Cats, there’s no mistaking it. My friend’s Cat might be a bit of a sleeper because he discovered that it has a 440 top end and I can tell you it has some giddy-up, as vintage sleds go. We were both impressed at how well it moves out on the trail.

Guess it’s no surprise that my helmet gets a lot of scratches:).

Nice! And that sure looks like the trails we rode up there this past winter…. Still a ton of snow I see!
The trails were pretty amazing. When you’re riding on 4” of travel and the trail seems smooth, it’s really smooth. We will have snow for a while yet but 40’s and 50’s the last couple of days are a sign that spring will arrive after all.

Reactions: C W

skiroule

skiroule... any plans or hints of a new upcoming project/resto?
Put the fishing pole aside for a bit and get back to some wrenching
Now that is funny (and somewhat accurate).

Sorry guys, as I told Gary, I have been checking in from time-to-time, but haven’t had much worthwhile to add to the conversation.

I have been kicking around a couple of ideas, both of which are potentially more challenging than my usual efforts, at least for me anyway. I’ll probably know in a few weeks which one I might attempt, if either.

In my defense, I have logged about 1200 miles this summer collecting bones. You’d think I could make something out of this pile.

IMG_1561_1.jpg

I also made a trip to the swap meet at the Outlaw Grass Drags a week or so ago, which was a little disappointing with respect to what I was looking for. If I had needed a gas tank for a 70’s Artic Cat I would have had my pick of about 30 but I only found a couple of things I might be able to use.

I’m planning one more parts run in a couple of weeks so we’ll see how that pans out.

skiroule

Funny stuff Gary. I remember hearing this song back in the day and it always made me smile. It might have been a little flawed but the man had a plan.

If I'm ever able to pull off a project I'd like to do, it might come together a lot like the guy's Cadillac.