The Houghton Bridge Operation.....

teamditchpickle

John,

My Pops, brother and I where all standing taking a break by the intersection at the Ramada inn looking at the "blue bridge" as we like to call it and where wondering how it worked and if the second level that we sled on becomes an way for cars to pass while the bridge is lifted and boats are passing? We could see that it could only go up and down so that was the only thought of the double decker bridge. Do you have any pictures of this in operation? Just thought it would be cool. Thanks John.

Shawn Rudolph

A

admin

Shawn.

I am sure there are others out there that might know more about the Portage Lake Lift Bridge than I, but the double levels were initially there for vehicle traffic to pass across on the upper level (still being used as a roadway) and for train traffic on the lower level. The trains have stopped using the bridge for several decades, but now is used in the winter for snowmobiles.

In the summer the bridge is raised so that the roadway uses the lower level and boats can pass underneath it. It can be raised up further to allow large ships to pass underneath like this:
63744.jpg

-John

teamditchpickle

Thanks John,

That clears it up and thats a pretty cool picture of the bridge. I appreicate everything you do. take care.

Shawn Rudolph