The Lake is Warm!

JonesRMK

John-

I have heard a lot of people refer to the Lake (superior) being warm this year is an indicator of a huge snowfall. I know last year at the time the lake was around 46 degrees and right now its about 58. Does the warmer water indicate more lake effect snow? if so, why?

thanks!!

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I guess my first question would be where are you getting the lake temp is 58?

The maps I have been looking at show just about all of Lake Superior at around 45-52 degrees, with some mid to upper 50's in Whitefish Bay. The big wind storm of Sept 3rd cooled lake temps from the upper 60's to low 70's down into the 40's and 50's- where it typically is this time of the year. With daytime and nighttime temps both falling quickly this time of the year, it is only going to get cooler from here on out.

So lake temp will not be a factor this year. If it were still really warm, it could lead to more early season LES, but you need more than warmer than average water to make LES. The atmospheric setup is just as important or even more. Plus, no matter what the lake temp is in Sept and Oct, by the third week of December it is always around 36 degrees, so that is why it can sometimes lead to good early season LES, but then by late December is a non factor.

-John

JonesRMK

As of last week the water was 58 degrees at Granite Island. According to a member of the USCG. Thanks for the answer though.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I will not doubt what a USCG member states, but temps there now are around 50, according to the map below. Plus, that is just one small point on the lake and you really need to consider the lake as a whole when trying to determine it's effects on the regional weather.

By the way, the lake-wide average temp right now is about 50 degrees and the average for this date is 54, so the lake as a whole is actually cooler than average.

Still could be a good LES season though!

sswt-00.gif

-John

dcsnomo

As a meteorologist can't you just order us more snow? C'mon John, go online, fill in the form, and order some snow!
BTW, wore my JD "Think Snow" fleece to an event last night, not a lot of snow lovers in attendance!

regionrat

Are Lake Michigan water temperatures at normal levels? I picked up quite a bit of Lake Effect rain yesterday.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have any info as to the departures of the lake temps for Lake Michigan, only the actual temps.

Sorry!

-John