The origin of our sport

mikes99ss

The inventor of the snowmobile is the center of debate and probably will be forever. This is the one I believe to be first because it most resembles what we ride today. Built in 1917 by Carl Eliason of sayner Wisconsin. Using parts from a boat motor and many other things from the hardware store he owned our sport was born. Fast forward to today and that very same hardware store is still in the family now being run by the 3rd generation. I took a ride to that hardware store and saw the first sled then talked to both jonna and John, the grandchildren of Carl. I asked them if they would pick out something and sign it so I could put it on my 650 as a nod to the family that started it all. I'm sure most would find it boring but I thought it was really cool to meet them and represent them on a sled I restored. They started what is now a life long passion PXL_20230512_221848770.jpg PXL_20230512_161746721.jpg OIP~2.jpeg

wiscrev

Good people. Jonna is a good friend, I live 6 miles south of there. On occasion they have had that sled on display at the Derby. They have a museum just down the street but very hard to see as it is not open regularly. You almost have to to have a special group and schedule a time for them to open. Of course, that was the Covid era so don't know how they are doing it now.

euphoric1

venturenorth had taken me by the store in january, although it was after they had closed for the day I was able to see their machines in the window, I hope someday too to be able to stop by and look a little closer and maybe hear some family history!