The Weather Channel

J

jr

Hi John,

What happened to the Weather Channel? It seems to be less about the weather and more about climate change (the new buzz words).

JR

john

MONEY.

It will backfire in the end. Their programming change to this current format I believe will be their demise.

Of course years ago, TWC could not stand on their own two feet, meaning advertising revenue could not support the channel. So there was something passed in which TWC said they provide critical safety information to the general pubilc, so they should automatically receive monies from the cable and satellite companies. Not sure if it is an actual law, but some kind of binding agreement.

So unless this agreement is ended, TWC will automatically receive funds to support their channel, reguardless of advertising income. Thus I guess they can put any content out they want and not fear ratings losses too much. What cracks me up about the whole thing is that part of their argument was that they would provide critical weather information for severe weather events like hurricanes. Yet when a hurricane is striking the coast somewhere, they still interrupt their "critical information" delivery for commercials! Something does not seem right and if you ask me, they are getting away with some kind of corporate robbery.

-John

skutr

They also don't know what there talking about when it comes to forecasting. I trust Jon's forecast and my weather rock.

25lieb

I hate the weather channel. The local on the 8's is good for a very general idea of what the weather may do, but generally if you go to your local weather service site you can get a great forecast. If you want to make your own forecasts, read up on how to interpret the models. I used to do a lot of forecasting, but I got bored with it and didn't want to do it. Plus, I couldn't grasp the calculus, so my two years of schooling went down the drain. So now I just read everyone else's forecasts and guestimate my own.

xsledder

Thanks John,

It makes sense. Yes, it will backfire on them. I'm already bored with it. Hey, have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. See you the first weekend in February. (Forecast a big storm like we had this year.)

-JR

regionrat

The sad part about TWC is that they COULD be creating interesting, informative, TV. They should make it technical, to appeal to the legions of weather freaks out there. They could have in depth analysis of models, and intelligent discussions about what the models predict. They could also develop some sort of world wide weather overview, and relate events to their potential impact on the US.

gobuckeyes

I don't like the weather channel either, but it sure beats this! It is actually painfull to watch it is so bad. The other two, well . . .

<font color="ff0000">-Sc</font><font color="119911">ott</font>

soopy

TWC's method of climate prediction was practiced by ancient tribes eons ago. Take a bunch of bones in one hand, throw them over the ground and dance around in a cirle with a good jug of "shine"...If you fall to the ground and land in a puddle: It must be raining!!!