Therma-cell or something better?

euphoric1

last season was a misquito nightmare and with all the moisture before winter finally came, snow melt and as wet as it has been so far anticipating another skeeter nightmare, and last year when they were at their worst there was nothing to be had for repellent. Has anyone used any of the therma cell products and do they live up to their claim? or is there something better out there you may have used or would recommend? we are in the woods and it didn't matter what time of day it was they almost carried you away!

maddogg

The therma cells work individually - I like them for turkey hunting, bow hunting, etc. when you're sitting still. If you move a lot its effectiveness isn't there. We bought a bug fogger last year. Probably trading bug bites for cancer though...

misty_pines

I also use a Thermacell for sitting on the deck, etc., in the summer but mostly for early season bowhunting or goose hunting in September when the mosquitos are still around some years. They work great when there is little to no wind. After being on for a couple minutes, they create a mosquito barrier around you. They do not work well at all when sitting around a campfire since the fire pulls away the repellent that the Thermacell expels into the air. Overall, well worth it for me.

mrbb

I can relate to this problem all too well, the past few yrs have been crazy with rain and standing water here, so bad , you cannot walk from car to front door without being swarmed and once in a vehicle they will surround it by the hundreds!, just insane! totally ruined being able to enjoy doing anything out side. this is a rural property, mostly all wooded minus gravel drive way and parking spots and some smaller out buildings!
things I tired
I had the therma cells and they worked a LITTLE if you sat on a deck with 3-4 of them going!
I tried the citronella candles candles and torches, (*wortheless IMO) tred growing plants, but they didn;t take very well!

I next tried using NON chemical solutions, , one being a garlic spray, made whole place stink like garlic, and helped maybe curb them by about 20 %, and could treat yard 3-4 times a day an that was best I could get

next I bought a hand held propane, tried 3 or 4 different chemicals, some worked better then others but honestly, NONE worked that great I would recommend them!
and many made more flames than fog! and I think all took a yr or two off my life using LOL

SO< next I went back to spraying the yard, I bought some of this stuff , Bifen IT -,
I bought it from this place, https://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/ , part # CSI4435, $50 bucks for a gallon of it!
good prices and very very helpful on getting you right stuff!
I got it sprayed about an acre of my place with it, starting with where I plan to be out side and going a good 50-75 yards in every direction out from it in circles
I used a simple 2 gallon hand tank sprayer((got at tractor supply store for 10 bucks)
I Recommend wearing safety gear, at a MIN good breathing dust mask, long sleeve clothes, hat and long pants!
and WATCH THE WIND when spraying
spray everything you can reach, both top and bottom of tree/s leaves and like places
and when done wash things well and take a shower and make sure you got it all off you!

the next day my whole place was bug free for about 5 weeks, and this was with rain about every 3 days or more, some times 3-5 inches of rain at a time

once they started to come back, I would re spray! and be ALL good again!
it made a wold of difference and I have no issue recommending it

Its MADE to be safe around pets and even fruit tree's and even food handling area's and such!

but I will admit, I DIDN:T spray my fruit tree's at all
and any place my critters liked to lay or hang out I either skipped or went very light and made sure I gave the pets a day off, before letting them go there!
better safe than sorry IMO!

but it worked for me, past 2 yrs and still have about 3/4's of a gallon left
only need a little to do a lot! off top of my head I think its a ounce of chemical to a gallon of water! for an example

NOW< I know a few folks near me due to how bad they were that bought them BIG propane traps, paid a several hundred bucks, or more, and had OK luck, but they tell me there more work, adding scents and cleaning them?? but they been happy with results
I can ask what models they have if you want, over the chemical spraying route I took

but I would spray and be done , over up keeping a power line going to these traps they have!

also, a LOT of mosquito control is trying to make your place un appealing to them, get rid of anything that holds standing water, try and get as much sunlight into area's as possible
dampness and heat , are breeding ground spots for them all the more so if standing water is about

if you have any spots that tend to hold standing water,
you can try spraying some dawn liquid soap into them, soap will kill there eggs! as will a lot of other things you can add

same as if you have ponds, adding them floating traps that kill them!
hope this helps you?I know them things SUCK both literally and physically! LOL

the chemical I use, also gets rid of spiders and ticks and flee's too??
just saying

srt20

Mosquito Squad. Google it. Cost me $125 a year to have THEM treat my yard in the northwoods. We dont use any bug juice on us or the kids and I havent used my thermocells since we started, 3 years ago. They treat my yard once a month. My dog doesnt have cancer yet.

Its a small 1/4 acre in a seasonal campground. Most people get it, but the cheap old folks next to me dont. We get bit up at their site, but not ours. They spray the perimeter.

IIRC they have a franchise in Waukesha.

The stuff works so good, I would gladly pay 3 times as much per summer for it. I will say, and they will too, you may get a lucky one that makes it in, but if you get bit more then once a day, call and tell them. They will come out ASAP and respray. No extra charge.
This is in an area that you cannot be outside without some sort of protection. Any year.

Side bonus, no ticks on us or dog.

euphoric1

srt20, from reading above the thermacell has its place and may still get one to use on out deck, it has an permanent awning and obviously the trailer with patio door and other side an add a room that extends from the trailer the depth of the deck not to mention being in somewhat wooded area unless the wind just right I think the thermacell will work for that as we like to eat outside most of the time. If I am understanding you correctly this place only sprays the perimeter around your site? does the campground give you any issue having them do this? we use a perimeter spray around trailer to deter ants and spiders and works rather well. this may also be a consideration and will have to check if they will allow it or not, last year they were horrendous even in the daylight. We are in Plymouth Wi and again will have to check if grounds would allow it and see if they have anyone in that area. Other wise I may check if the local coop has a similar product I can apply myself, because correct me if I am wrong but if you are not doing it as a business, charging for it or doing anyone elses other than your own you do not need a applicators liscence, I could be wrong but that is what I heard.
Mosquito Squad. Google it. Cost me $125 a year to have THEM treat my yard in the northwoods. We dont use any bug juice on us or the kids and I havent used my thermocells since we started, 3 years ago. They treat my yard once a month. My dog doesnt have cancer yet.

Its a small 1/4 acre in a seasonal campground. Most people get it, but the cheap old folks next to me dont. We get bit up at their site, but not ours. They spray the perimeter.

IIRC they have a franchise in Waukesha.

The stuff works so good, I would gladly pay 3 times as much per summer for it. I will say, and they will too, you may get a lucky one that makes it in, but if you get bit more then once a day, call and tell them. They will come out ASAP and respray. No extra charge.
This is in an area that you cannot be outside without some sort of protection. Any year.

Side bonus, no ticks on us or dog.

mrbb

odds are the company being paid is spraying the same chemical I listed above or one just like it, and again, its easy to do yourself
NO lic required or permits
the stuff is pretty cheap and a you can spray as often as you need
as what causes it to wear down is rain and as more leaves and things grow

with what I use, you spray everything you want NOT just a border, due to they can fly past a border if that i all you do!

I have tons of critters here and no harm has come to any either!
worst part about is, again, you IMO really don't want to get it on you, or I try to not , so watching the wind when spraying, wearing proper gear while spraying, and a good shower afterwards my advice
OR again can Hire someone to do it
I'm cheap, LOL and have the time to do myself
and the gallon of the stuff I got should last me 10 yrs for about the one time 100 buck investment in it!

euphoric1

mrbb. That's exactly what I was going to do and I appreciate your input as I tend to believe what a end user has to say more than the guy selling me the product, the foilage on trees is quite a ways up and our lot is primarily pea gravel except for an island that we have river rock with lighting and hostas in it, its about 8' by 20' outside of that no vegetation on site, I will have to do it when everyone has gone for weekend so no one panics about me spraying, and I do agree about mask, gloves and a good shower because if its not good for them I doubt its not much better for you in liquid state, I too am somewhat cheap and like doing things myself, that way you know what you got and no one else to blame if it doesn't work. I will check into that product and thanks for being clear on not needing lic. Im just afraid with all the moisture we've had its going to be another bumper year and by mid june there was nothing to be had on shelves in town, not even off.
odds are the company being paid is spraying the same chemical I listed above or one just like it, and again, its easy to do yourself
NO lic required or permits
the stuff is pretty cheap and a you can spray as often as you need
as what causes it to wear down is rain and as more leaves and things grow

with what I use, you spray everything you want NOT just a border, due to they can fly past a border if that i all you do!

I have tons of critters here and no harm has come to any either!
worst part about is, again, you IMO really don't want to get it on you, or I try to not , so watching the wind when spraying, wearing proper gear while spraying, and a good shower afterwards my advice
OR again can Hire someone to do it
I'm cheap, LOL and have the time to do myself
and the gallon of the stuff I got should last me 10 yrs for about the one time 100 buck investment in it!

mrbb

mrbb. That's exactly what I was going to do and I appreciate your input as I tend to believe what a end user has to say more than the guy selling me the product, the foilage on trees is quite a ways up and our lot is primarily pea gravel except for an island that we have river rock with lighting and hostas in it, its about 8' by 20' outside of that no vegetation on site, I will have to do it when everyone has gone for weekend so no one panics about me spraying, and I do agree about mask, gloves and a good shower because if its not good for them I doubt its not much better for you in liquid state, I too am somewhat cheap and like doing things myself, that way you know what you got and no one else to blame if it doesn't work. I will check into that product and thanks for being clear on not needing lic. Im just afraid with all the moisture we've had its going to be another bumper year and by mid june there was nothing to be had on shelves in town, not even off.
rain is the killer for both making lots of places for them to breed and hatch, and it also can wash away things you spray
but some times LOT of rain helps keep them down as standing water is what they need to hatch, and rain disturbs that process
I had so much rain last yr, it was like every 2 days it rains, it seemed to help some at times keeping them down, but when you'd get a day or two after rain it would hit upper 90's, MAN things come alive it seems
and having the chemical on hand, was nice to just go spray as needed, as to maybe calling someone and getting put on a list
I think I sprayed like 3 maybe 4 times last yr from say June till end of oct(had 90's in oct this past yr??)

so its not that bad
I have a LOT of very tall tree's on mt main area, some 100+ ft tall, and a lot of pines too of all sizes
I just spray what I can reach with the sprayer, its important to get the underside of leaves more than the tops
and about half of my main area is gravel to, I spray that too as them suckers will hide under loose gravel during the day time as moisture stays under it and shades it too!
way I see it , the stuff is pretty cheap I spray everything I can, minus my fruit tree's, I know it says I can, but I tend to not do them , rather be safe than sorry!

but its been a huge difference here for me using it over everything else I tried over the yrs
the link I posted has full on start kits, even sprayers too if you wish, and they have a few different chemicals that all work like ways

srt20

srt20, from reading above the thermacell has its place and may still get one to use on out deck, it has an permanent awning and obviously the trailer with patio door and other side an add a room that extends from the trailer the depth of the deck not to mention being in somewhat wooded area unless the wind just right I think the thermacell will work for that as we like to eat outside most of the time. If I am understanding you correctly this place only sprays the perimeter around your site? does the campground give you any issue having them do this? we use a perimeter spray around trailer to deter ants and spiders and works rather well. this may also be a consideration and will have to check if they will allow it or not, last year they were horrendous even in the daylight. We are in Plymouth Wi and again will have to check if grounds would allow it and see if they have anyone in that area. Other wise I may check if the local coop has a similar product I can apply myself, because correct me if I am wrong but if you are not doing it as a business, charging for it or doing anyone elses other than your own you do not need a applicators liscence, I could be wrong but that is what I heard.

Like I said, they spray the perimeter. The mosquitos dont bother us or any of the other sites that have the spray done.

The owner of the campground is who told us about the Mosquito Squad. We have a unique campground. 24 sites, all HUGE lots, 1/4 acre per site or more, all are seasonal almost all ride atvs, (trail goes to the bar at campground), no quiet time, and everybody gets along. If someone starts being a whiney baby, the owner tells them to leave. BTW, there is a waiting list to get in by us. So its different then 95% of the usual campgrounds.

I dont know anything about the rules or regs for the spray. I dont need to know. The company is not just a regional thing, IIRC its headquarter out east somewhere. So Im sure the gov has their hand in whats going on with the company.

The franchise that serves us does many campgrounds. I pay them $125 per year to not have mosquitoes. And I am beyond happy with what I pay for what I receive.

Im cheap as the next person, but I dont have to find the chemicals, pay whatever it is for them ($50 a gal according to the other guy if it is indeed the same stuff), I dont have to spend my time spraying, or buying masks, jumpsuits, taking showers, etc. I give them $125 a year, they get rid of the mosquitoes, ticks, and whatever else doesnt like the spray, and they leave me a note saying they had been there and sprayed for me.

You can do it if yourself if you prefer, I have no ties to the company at all. But in my case, it makes no sense whatsoever for me to do it when I can spend $125 per YEAR to get rid of them.

srt20

btw, if you want to see for yourself what its like come up to our campground sometime. Mosquitoes usually hatch right around Memorial day up there. I suggest coming first or second week in June, or really anytime in summer.

Little Hummer's Hideway bar and campground. Right on the ATV trail in Langlade county. Trail goes through part of the campground. So you can drive your atv in, stop somewhere near a site that has the Mosquito squad flag on it. See if you get bit by any mosquitoes.

edit; Actually I think Hummer has the common areas sprayed as well. So you can stop down by the kids playground equipment to.

mrbb

Like I said, they spray the perimeter. The mosquitos dont bother us or any of the other sites that have the spray done.

The owner of the campground is who told us about the Mosquito Squad. We have a unique campground. 24 sites, all HUGE lots, 1/4 acre per site or more, all are seasonal almost all ride atvs, (trail goes to the bar at campground), no quiet time, and everybody gets along. If someone starts being a whiney baby, the owner tells them to leave. BTW, there is a waiting list to get in by us. So its different then 95% of the usual campgrounds.

I dont know anything about the rules or regs for the spray. I dont need to know. The company is not just a regional thing, IIRC its headquarter out east somewhere. So Im sure the gov has their hand in whats going on with the company.

The franchise that serves us does many campgrounds. I pay them $125 per year to not have mosquitoes. And I am beyond happy with what I pay for what I receive.

Im cheap as the next person, but I dont have to find the chemicals, pay whatever it is for them ($50 a gal according to the other guy if it is indeed the same stuff), I dont have to spend my time spraying, or buying masks, jumpsuits, taking showers, etc. I give them $125 a year, they get rid of the mosquitoes, ticks, and whatever else doesnt like the spray, and they leave me a note saying they had been there and sprayed for me.

You can do it if yourself if you prefer, I have no ties to the company at all. But in my case, it makes no sense whatsoever for me to do it when I can spend $125 per YEAR to get rid of them.

I fully agree a 125 bucks a yr is cheap for good results
my main reason for me spraying is, due to so much rain anymore here, the spray can be washed away,needing a new spray and I live rather remote(less than a 100 people in my town)
and don't want to wait for them to come back when I can just go ahead and do it myself, as needed !

any savings are small and trivial, but, I am also on a fixed income, so anything I can also save is a plus
but its not making much of a difference either way to be honest

I just wanted to point out it can be done yourself if one wished to do so over hiring a company!

euphoric1

srt20, I will check to see if there is a franchise in the area we are, our campground a little bigger.... 600 seasonal sites, no atv trails however a CRAP LOAD of golf carts uuuuugh . I hear your point on the cost compared to risks and other things. I will check to see if there is a franchise near there, they used to fog campground but don't anymore.
btw, if you want to see for yourself what its like come up to our campground sometime. Mosquitoes usually hatch right around Memorial day up there. I suggest coming first or second week in June, or really anytime in summer.

Little Hummer's Hideway bar and campground. Right on the ATV trail in Langlade county. Trail goes through part of the campground. So you can drive your atv in, stop somewhere near a site that has the Mosquito squad flag on it. See if you get bit by any mosquitoes.

edit; Actually I think Hummer has the common areas sprayed as well. So you can stop down by the kids playground equipment to.

scoobydoo

The bifenrin is a good product if you chose to do it yourself. should work well for ants around foudations, ticks, spiders etc. I believe it is labeled for indoor use also. Another brand name for it is Talstar

scott_l

I have also had good luck with the Bifen IT, I believe it a actually 1/3 ounce per gallon of water. I also use the two gal pump style sprayer, I also spray the corners of my house and around my porch lights and this helps keep the spiders (webs away). I do not spray our vegetables or even close to them to also be on the safe side. But I do have to admit I spray heavy in our landscaping and it’s possible that our day lilies did not like this chemical, they did not die but just did not do real well last year. No problems with hostas or small ever green style bushes. Just luck!

euphoric1

Thanks mezz! :highly_amused: they wont allow any outside commercial spraying to come in, and surprising for how cool it is outside they are already out even through day light hours, luckily it has been a bit breezy out which keeps them away for a while but as soon or if we ever get out of this weather pattern and we get consistent warm temps....LOOK OUT!

mrbb

they were thick here this spring, having rain every other day since 2017 it seems

I sprayed, next day, NONE on or near me while working outside all day, and none while sitting on deck in evening!

I have sprayed a few yrs now,a bunch of types of flowers plants, ,assorted pine's tree's, hard/soft wood tree's, MT Laurel while IN bloom, and everything BUT again, my fruit tree's and anything that produces any thing I would eat!
have never had anything die or look sick from spraying!
and as a fact , I re sprayed a small area night, again, due to all this rain and seeing a lot of standing water about the swampy area there!

don't know if I mentioned this, but any place that holds a lot of standing water, I also mix up water and and some dawn dish soap, and spray that into thew wetter area's
the soap is supposed to stop eggs from hatching! and be harmless to other critters
Old farmers I knew used to treat there swamp lands with 2 cycle oil mixes< little harsher than I would do, but they claimed same deal, the oil prevents them eggs from hatching, but odds are not so environmentally safe as Dawn dish soap LOL
but know a few that have 30+ yrs of doing this and tons of healthy critters on there farms? ducks, geese, frogs and so on still in the swamps>?