This summer

sp123

john what are the rainfall totals for June July august in houghton/keweenaw counties all i hear is people saying that it has been dry. the only month i think that might have been a little dry was july ?

frnash

For Houghton, MI (airport):
<table border=1><tr><td><font size="-2"><center>Month</center></font></TD><TD><font size="-2"><center>Precip.</center></font></TD><TD><font size="-2"><center>Departure</center></font> </TD></TR><TR><TD><font size="-2"><center>Jun</center></font></TD><TD><font size="-2"><center>1.79"</center></font></TD><TD><font size="-2"><center>-1.44"</center></font> </TD></TR><TR><TD><font size="-2"><center>Jul</center></font></TD><TD><font size="-2"><center>1.93"</center></font></TD><TD><font size="-2"><center>-1.08"</center></font> </TD></TR><TR><TD><font size="-2"><center>Aug</center></font></TD><TD><font size="-2"><center>4.82"</center></font></TD><TD><font size="-2"><center>+1.27"</center></font> </TD></TR><TR><TD><font size="-2"><center>Sep<sup>§</sup></center></font></TD><TD><font size="-2"><center>trace</center></font></TD><TD><font size="-2"><center>-1.05"</center></font> </TD></TR><TR><TD><font size="-2"><center>Totals</center></font></TD><TD><font size="-2"><center>8.54"</center></font></TD><TD><font size="-2"><center>-2.30"</center></font></td></tr></table>(<sup>§</sup> To date.)

scottd

frnash what site did you get this from? I'd like to know what Marquette county is like. I mean I know in general based on the fact our lake is the lowest i've seen it in all of my 33 years but I would like to be able to monitor better where we are.

Thanks

frnash

Oops, my "misteak"; the table shown above is for Marquette, not Houghton!

Apparently they don't archive the data reported by the ASOS station at Houghton beyond the three days history shown here (Drat! I coulda sworn they did!). (Click on the 3 Day History: link in the Current Conditions section.)

Here's a link to the Marquette Climate Records.

I used the Preliminary Monthly Climate Data (CF6) product for June, July, August & September, but you could find the monthly totals in the Monthly Weather Summary (CLM) also.

It looks like MQT NWS has changed their menus, I can't see where the Co-op observer records are hiding now, like for Phoenix Farms, etc.!

Another option for Houghton would be this Weather Underground page: KCMX. You'd have to click on the monthly tab then change the date to the last day of each month, then scroll down for the monthly totals. Tedious!

frnash

Yet another alternative for various other locations in da western UP: Marquette NWS Now Data.

Try the Monthly avgs/totals product for various locations (see the Locations scroll box), and perhaps the Precipitation Variable for this year, last year, or the averages for 1971 - 2000 (the so-called "normals").

A

admin

Here you go:

Houghton County Airport

June: observed 3.83, average 2.84 135%
July: observed 1.31, average 2.97 44%
Aug: observed 4.66, average 2.75 169%
Sept: Observed 0.00, average 1.08 0%

-John

PS. No more Coop at Phoenix Farms
sad.gif

sp123

yes i see we are above average precip for the summer i didnt really think it was dry this summer