Thoughts on Global Warming and winters to come?

robinson

Hey John,

Curious to know your thoughts (briefly) on global warming and if there will be any negative impacts on winters to come here in the northern plains and great lakes region of the country?

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Still not a 100% believer in global warming, but not 100% thinking is is bunk either. We all have way too much to learn still to make a firm conclusion in my opinion.

No idea how it will impact winters in the N. Plains and Great Lakes.

-John

eskysteve

I've never been a believer, at least the part where man is causing it and we can do something about it. But, as I was driving to work this morning, in the rain, I started thinking that maybe there's something to this global warming. Not that we have anything to do with it. I have never seen so much rain in the winter in my 50 years of living here in the UP. And this was supposed to be a cooler than normal winter!

old abe

Still not a 100% believer in global warming, but not 100% thinking is is bunk either. We all have way too much to learn still to make a firm conclusion in my opinion.

No idea how it will impact winters in the N. Plains and Great Lakes.

-John

I will not hold you to this John, but in your opinion, how does the Artic sea ice/Ice cap effect our weather??? Winter, or summer???

durphee

I am not answering for John but climate change is an extremely complex process. There is no "one" driver of the change and it is non linear. The caps do several functions such as reflect sunlight to keep the Earth cooler (albedo), impacts the ocean conveyor belt system and can keep methane (which is a much more impactful greenhouse gas) within the Earth's crustal resources. It really is too complex to cover over a general forum...its like asking a Dr to explain cancer within several paragraphs, too complicated. There is an enormous amount of data behind the science and it will only grow as our ability to understand the Earth's processes continues. I teach Env. Biology, not a climate scientists, at a small college and I wish we had all the facts, we simply just do not at this time.
Although I do try to explain it to my students like this. Your body and the environment work in similiar processes....a change in one area tends to equal a change in another area. Putting more greenhouse gases into the atmosphere and changing the composition, even slightly, can have multiple impacts. Its like drinking a beer. One beer doesn't seem like much but it definitely changes (impares) the body to an extent. Adding a second beer and the changes start to add up. Keep adding liquor and the changes become apparent. While being legally drunk at 0.08 BAC is really a very, very small percentage of your overall mass it can have major impacts. That is as simple, yet complex, as it can be. I am not going to debate it on a social site.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
^^^What he said!^^^

Very well written and also very objective. The only thing I can add is that the oceans cover 2/3rds of our planets surface, but we know very little about how they work- meaning currents, temp anomalies...etc.

-John

Hoosier

I am not answering for John but climate change is an extremely complex process. There is no "one" driver of the change and it is non linear. The caps do several functions such as reflect sunlight to keep the Earth cooler (albedo), impacts the ocean conveyor belt system and can keep methane (which is a much more impactful greenhouse gas) within the Earth's crustal resources. It really is too complex to cover over a general forum...its like asking a Dr to explain cancer within several paragraphs, too complicated. There is an enormous amount of data behind the science and it will only grow as our ability to understand the Earth's processes continues. I teach Env. Biology, not a climate scientists, at a small college and I wish we had all the facts, we simply just do not at this time.
Although I do try to explain it to my students like this. Your body and the environment work in similiar processes....a change in one area tends to equal a change in another area. Putting more greenhouse gases into the atmosphere and changing the composition, even slightly, can have multiple impacts. Its like drinking a beer. One beer doesn't seem like much but it definitely changes (impares) the body to an extent. Adding a second beer and the changes start to add up. Keep adding liquor and the changes become apparent. While being legally drunk at 0.08 BAC is really a very, very small percentage of your overall mass it can have major impacts. That is as simple, yet complex, as it can be. I am not going to debate it on a social site.

Refreshing to hear someone knowledgeable say we don't know all the facts at this time. You never hear that from either side on this issue.

C

Cirrus_Driver

ClimateGate 2 - NOAA Whistleblower Claims World Leaders Fooled By Fake Global Warming Data: >>Dr John Bates' disclosures about the manipulation of data behind the so-called 'Pausebuster' paper is the biggest scientific scandal since 'Climategate' in 2009 when, as Britain's Daily Mail reported, thousands of leaked emails revealed scientists were trying to block access to data, and using a 'trick' to conceal embarrassing flaws in their claims about global warming.

Britain's Mail on Sunday today revealed astonishing evidence that the organisation that is the world’s leading source of climate data rushed to publish a landmark paper that exaggerated global warming and was timed to influence the historic Paris Agreement on climate change.

A high-level whistleblower has told this newspaper that America’s National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) breached its own rules on scientific integrity when it published the sensational but flawed report, aimed at making the maximum possible impact on world leaders including Barack Obama and David Cameron at the UN climate conference in Paris in 2015.

The report claimed that the ‘pause’ or ‘slowdown’ in global warming in the period since 1998 – revealed by UN scientists in 2013 – never existed, and that world temperatures had been rising faster than scientists expected. Launched by NOAA with a public relations fanfare, it was splashed across the world’s media, and cited repeatedly by politicians and policy makers.

But the whistleblower, Dr John Bates, a top NOAA scientist with an impeccable reputation, has shown The Mail on Sunday irrefutable evidence that the paper was based on misleading, ‘unverified’ data.<<

There is NOT enough data in 100 years of recorded climate history to draw any conclusions at this time, although I personally believe it's mostly "myth". The world has always been warming and cooling at various points.
And here's a little clue for the so called, resident "scientists".... if the earth is really warming from human industrial activity, or internal combustion related emissions, why is it that glaciers that once covered the entire upper 1/3 of the US, all melted thousands of years before those modern factories and vehicles were ever created, and KILLED OFF the dinosaurs in the process? I'll leave you all to ponder that one, and come up with another "excuse" to justify your "cause". Personally - I don't do "CAUSES".

Attachments

• tumblr_mx9us2lRL21rpncwuo1_500.gif
    tumblr_mx9us2lRL21rpncwuo1_500.gif
    782.2 KB · Views: 8

dawolf

All thoughtful points and good information.

I just want it to snow again and have the time to enjoy it when it does....

whitedust

NBC Rhinelander aired a bit about shorter winter seasons in the northwoods and recreations that are at risk which included maple syrup production ,skiing, ice fishing,snow shoeing, and of course snowmobling due to warmer winters. Conclusions were later Winter and earlier Spring plus in season thaws that greatly reduced snow and ice in the area. Yes this Winter has been warm and short with thaws but really is this here to stay or just what happened this year?

old abe

NBC Rhinelander aired a bit about shorter winter seasons in the northwoods and recreations that are at risk which included maple syrup production ,skiing, ice fishing,snow shoeing, and of course snowmobling due to warmer winters. Conclusions were later Winter and earlier Spring plus in season thaws that greatly reduced snow and ice in the area. Yes this Winter has been warm and short with thaws but really is this here to stay or just what happened this year?

WD it seems as it's changing to the warmer/more rainy winters. Went back and looked at some pics from our early years we were snowmobiling. Now very seldom do we get to go to these places and ride now as the snow now days is so infrequent there. My son went back to Glacier Natl Park this year and could not believe the difference in just 6 years. Places we go ride in Canada, people reflect on the past in the same way also. Times are changing!!! Just like the "old saying" said.