to cold for snow?

keweenaw22

I think if it was a little warmer out the last couple days we would have gotten alot more snow. It just seems its so dry and flakes are really small. Did anyone else notice that. In The snow belts of the UP i am reffering to.

anonomoose

Once a long time ago, I would have agreed with you. Snow produced from a frontal movement often happens when the temperature has warmed a bit. But I have learned that lake effect snow happens in extreme cold and has the characteristics of fine snow rather than big flakes once it sets up. I suppose it doesn't have to be small flakes but seems that is what it usually shows up as, and can still dump a significant snow-fall on your head....all the while never getting above zero degrees F.

I remember this happening for 7 days straight
...snowing constantly at various intensities...never quite stopping completely but at times you couldn't see 20 feet.

mezz

Once a long time ago, I would have agreed with you. Snow produced from a frontal movement often happens when the temperature has warmed a bit. But I have learned that lake effect snow happens in extreme cold and has the characteristics of fine snow rather than big flakes once it sets up. I suppose it doesn't have to be small flakes but seems that is what it usually shows up as, and can still dump a significant snow-fall on your head....all the while never getting above zero degrees F.

I remember this happening for 7 days straight
...snowing constantly at various intensities...never quite stopping completely but at times you couldn't see 20 feet.

That is what is going on here right now & has been since Jan 16th. A real nice base is finally coming together with the fine but constant snow.-Mezz

Tito

On the east side been like that for at least 10 years. Just dont get the quarter size flakes anymore. Think thats way the snow has been down so much over the years. Has to snow all night to get 5-6 inches. The small flakes seem to plug the furnance air intake up easier too