To cover or not to cover?

euphoric1

We purchased a new trailer this year which we keep permanent at a camp resort, it has roof mounted air conditioners, my question is what's best in off season? to cover them or just leave them during the off season? Also... we have 2 slide outs one of which is 22' long, I have heard and seen both ways some leave them out over winter, some bring them in. We were told to bring them in to prevent the potential for ice dams that can form on them. I'm thinking better to bring them in and out just to keep mechanisms moving and working.

Last edited:

mezz

I agree with your train of thought, bring them in. No sense in keeping them out, as far as the AC units, I would be inclined to cover them just to keep the UV damage to a minimum as well as any insects that might want to make it a winter hide a way. Just my .02.

maddogg

Where is the trailer located. The advice we received was to keep the slide-outs in for the winter and to cover the trailer with a tight cover that breaths ie don't cheap out or use a tarp lol.

euphoric1

Where is the trailer located. The advice we received was to keep the slide-outs in for the winter and to cover the trailer with a tight cover that breaths ie don't cheap out or use a tarp lol.
Thanks, mezz and maddog, we are in Plymouth Wi in a wooded area, someone also suggested putting a wooden box over skylights and vents in case a branch would come off and puncture. About 2 years ago our neighbor behind us had a branch go through the roof of his poly shed, so it may not be a bad idea

euphoric1

I'm just going to make boxes to cover the vents and sky lights in hopes we don't come up to a tree branch sticking through any of them, the air conditioner I will leave uncovered, from talking to people it's the best to leave open so not to trap moisture. the dealer we bought the trailer from will be doing the winterization, for me it's a $160 piece of mind, with walk in shower, washer hook ups and ice maker I'd rather not chance screwing it up. So hopefully they will do it this week, we'll go up on weekend bring slide outs in, one of them is 22' long and were told you can end up with ice dams on them with thaws and freezes. So, we will do that and take care of whatever leaves have fallen so far. I tell people now that we have closed up our serenity spot and be stuck at home on weekends, we will have to put all the knives and blunt objects away until April again lol!

srt20

I have always left them uncovered, slides in, plugged in. I blow out waterlines with air and dump some rv antifreeze in drains and toilet. I put rv antifreeze in the lines one time. I could taste that crap all next season. Never again.

Campers were always left in NE WI over winter. Though I just brought it home because we are selling and gave up site.

euphoric1

I have always left them uncovered, slides in, plugged in. I blow out waterlines with air and dump some rv antifreeze in drains and toilet. I put rv antifreeze in the lines one time. I could taste that crap all next season. Never again.

Campers were always left in NE WI over winter. Though I just brought it home because we are selling and gave up site.
they just winterized ours on Saturday, was $168 and worth every dime to me, if there is an issue, I'll just pick up the phone. they brought in the slides for us, I will remove the battery and take home and leave unplugged, I have never been a fan of battery tenders which is essentially what the trailer has built into it, I'll just remove battery put a full charge on it, put away, take it out in spring and give it a charge once again before reinstalling. The Air conditioner I will leave uncovered as that seems the preferred choice but will still make covers for skylights and vents, only because our neighbor there had a branch through the roof of his poly shed, went through it as if it was sharpened.

mspease

We received our new cover and put the trailer away on Saturday. rp7x came over and helped me winterize it, I learned a lot. It took my wife and I 2 hours to put the cover on, LOL! It will go much faster next year now that we have done it.

600_RMK_144

We received our new cover and put the trailer away on Saturday. rp7x came over and helped me winterize it, I learned a lot. It took my wife and I 2 hours to put the cover on, LOL! It will go much faster next year now that we have done it.
how many beers did that cost you? LOL!

heckler56

The key to any RV is to routinely remove and replace the caulking every 3-7 years (depends on sun exposure, oxidation, etc). The rooftop plastics, AC cover, vent windows, fan vents, and such also degrade so it is a good idea to make a simple breathable protective cover for them.

Depending on battery type (lead acid, AGM, lithium) they each have a different storage preference. Lead acid loses charge faster so good idea to consider a charge every month and AGM every other month. Lithium like to store at 80% and can sit for a year. Best all stored in at least a garage.

Plymouth, Road America! My favorite summer destination….