To Scratch Or Not?

whitedust

I used to be anti scratcher then had an overheating issue in hardpack cold dry snow. Buddy had scratchers and dropped them I got on his butt and my running temp fell below normal. I had scratchers installed ASAP. I used to live in Vilas so just waited icing low lube conditions out for a better day but not anymore I’m a snow chaser. I can’t wait if we get caught in a transition I’m prepared to ride. The topic came up within our group and not much agreement which surprised me. Since I’m a scratcher convert I was wondering what the rest of the JD membership was doing to scratch or not to scratch? What experience do you have with scratchers especially for trail riders?

tomx

Had some heating issues once up by Greenland (late season). I bought some cable type scratchers at Pat's. Put em on and rode about half a mile. Stopped to check the skid and it looked like I was in the middle of an epic powder day. I'm sold on them. Unfortunately I lost one of them the next season. I needed more red locktite.

chunk06

My wife and I were up in Iron County years ago when the trails were ice. I had scratchers because i had a SBA, her Indy was running warm. I ended up having to ride hers and using my feet to cool it down. Of course every dealership around was sold out because others were having the same issue, so every sled we buy now gets them.

dfattack

While I'm not against scratchers I just don't have them. I have never needed them so therefore it's not making my top ten list of things to get. Maybe one day that will change, but if conditions are marginal I don't generally hit the trails. But never say never.

attakman

The truth is...if you need scratchers, then you are riding on or in very poor conditions (ICY/ low snow, road running etc) ...Do they work?...YES..Will I ever buy them or put them on a sled...NO...I will not ride in conditions that will damage my machine, and I avoid running roads at all costs (if possible)....I get it some people just have to ride, and can only go when they can...but, I'll park my sled if the conditions dictate that I'd need scratchers to ride

whitedust

What I’m finding it’s not let’s wait for better riding conditions it’s more of oops this section of trail is plowed for logging and I’m overheating. How can I get thru this section since is a lot longer than I thought? Simple drop the scratchers snow is there just too hard to lube me. Also lots of transitional temps this season that change every day so don’t have to worry about hard stuff in the morning that will soften up later. Believe me scratchers work cheap trail condition insurance.

hybrid

i run studs so that helps some
i also have the cable type scratchers
but i have not installed them
worried they would kick up rocks into the skid when going down a plowed road or through a logging area
and if conditions are that poor i usually just park the sled

pclark

WD, I'm like you were before you moved back south, No real need for them, I ride when I want to. Rode behind a guy who had them down on Monday and wondered why? It was 18 degrees and the trails were perfect so it didn't make a lot of sense to me but I can see your point. I did about 15 years ago run south towards Escanaba and we ran out of snow onto ice and started to smell burning hyfax and had to run off the sides of the trail for miles it seemed and then finally turned around so yes in that case I wish I would have had them.

heckler56

Our mid UP trips take us across logging roads and some plowed roads whether we want to or not, just glad they are there when needed. If I smell my buddies hyfax I lower them. Going to Big Bay from Marquette you can cutoff 5 miles of slow switchbacks by running the road just 1/2 mile further down, good insurance.

indy_500

Every sled with the cable style that I’ve seen, they end up loosening up and falling off over time if you keep them down 24/7 no matter how much loctite you use. And the wire type, can’t hold up to constant abuse either, will wear down fast or snap off. They are meant for “only use when needed” situations. With that said, I prefer the classic wire type. They throw up the most snow.

katden4

They tuck back on the rail when not in use. I have had them for a long long time. I don't always have perfect conditions when I ride, and most likely never will. I do a lot of overnight out of town trips, and conditions change quickly. Everyone has their opinion on them, for me they work just fine and don't interfere with anything other than costing a hundred bucks or so. I prefer the cable style, just in case I forget to raise them backing up. Other than the cost, I have never experienced a down side to them?

old abe

Years ago, we got caught on a overnight trip with evening soaking drizzle. It froze hard that night. That was it, cured me. I use QualiPieces TrailBlizzers cable scratchers. Only use them when needed, and have never found them not to absolutely work! I highly recommend TrailBlizzers as top quality! They can't come loose, or lose them. Even indy would be satisfied!

mike1970

In NW Wisconsin where we ride, there can be longer sections of trail on or along plowed roads. The plow drivers aren't kind to us sledders. I was up last weekend in epic early season riding conditions and still put the scratchers down. My temp went from 155 to 125 in about a block. Will never own a sled without now.

indy_500

In NW Wisconsin where we ride, there can be longer sections of trail on or along plowed roads. The plow drivers aren't kind to us sledders. I was up last weekend in epic early season riding conditions and still put the scratchers down. My temp went from 155 to 125 in about a block. Will never own a sled without now.
155 is realistically not that hard on a snowmobile engine though. Won’t do any damage until you’re north of 200. Polaris almost does more harm than good by letting us stare at that number all day :)

elf

I might have to ride 5, 10, 15 miles of hard pack trail to get to the good stuff. Or if we are just running trails all day. So I run cable scratchers. On icy trails I might only run with one down, it does the job. Most of the time they are tucked up on the rails. Granted, running a 2.25" track may require them more than smaller lugged tracks. Honestly they are very rarely down but I'm glad I have them just in case we pop out of a forest road to find a plowed forest road waiting for us.

dfattack

Our mid UP trips take us across logging roads and some plowed roads whether we want to or not, just glad they are there when needed. If I smell my buddies hyfax I lower them. Going to Big Bay from Marquette you can cutoff 5 miles of slow switchbacks by running the road just 1/2 mile further down, good insurance.
Curious. Where is this 5 mile section? east end or west end? :unsure:

dfattack

Years ago, we got caught on a overnight trip with evening soaking drizzle. It froze hard that night. That was it, cured me. I use QualiPieces TrailBlizzers cable scratchers. Only use them when needed, and have never found them not to absolutely work! I highly recommend TrailBlizzers as top quality! They can't come loose, or lose them. Even indy would be satisfied!
Qualipieces have great products. I use their jack stands and am very happy with them.

rp7x

i know nothing about thease but my wife put them on my sled because i wont run any idler wheels , i just turned 3k miles and the slides are still great ,i just use them , i dont drag them at gas stations of through town