Tomahawk Area 1/16/23

attakman

Trails were actually very good this weekend, even with the heavy traffic, and warm temperatures.

The Hiawatha is in fair to poor condition, with lots of snirt, and bumps from Highway 8 to Hwy K, and in very rough shape in the rock garden.
However...8E, 8W, 51C, 47, and 49, were GOOD to Very Good, with a just a few rough areas in the swamps (we put a groomer in on one of swamps near Rhinelander...so the club is being extra cautious)...we also had Two Groomers down last week..but the Piston Bully is back up and running, and we were able to get a couple of really rough swamps groomed.......East towards Harrison was also really nice....Honestly...I'm amazed at how well the trails held up with our recent lack of fresh snow fall, warm weather and very heavy traffic....the rain today is gonna hurt...how much? Don't know...it's a wait and see situation

As I write this it is raining, and 33 degrees....so for now we are in a holding pattern...I will update this later in the week...we really need 3 to 6 inches of snow to freshen things up a bit...and we definitely need some colder weather to refreeze some of these swamps and wet areas....keep your fingers crossed that the system on Thursday hits (not looking good at this point)...never seen a January like this...Have not used my snow blower since before Christmas.

SHOOT2KILL

Is North Country Yamaha closed ? Haven't seen any sleds,car,trucks, in the parking lot, and it looks like the inside lights are off...

attakman

AND..it now looks like the Storm for Wednesday into Thursday is going to miss us with the bulk of the SNOW going south (at least according to our local weather guys, and NWS)...Wausau, to the south and east could see 6 plus through Friday morning....might see 3-4 here with the current projected track (could see 2 or less as well)...they just don't have the track pinned down yet...let's hope they are wrong....really need the snow here.

AND..it now looks like the Storm for Wednesday into Thursday is going to miss us with the bulk of the SNOW going south (at least according to our local weather guys, and NWS)...Wausau, to the south and east could see 6 plus through Friday morning....might see 3-4 here with the current projected track (could see 2 or less as well)...they just don't have the track pinned down yet...let's hope they are wrong....really need the snow here.
How much do you think the area needs to make it good again? Did you lose a lot over the past 2 days with the rain? Obviously the more the better, but curious as to how much base is left and will a couple inches be enough for decent conditions?

whitedust

Milwaukee weather shows at least 7”
in Vilas a lot more in the UP. Not much here at all couple inches at most.

liv2ride

How much do you think the area needs to make it good again? Did you lose a lot over the past 2 days with the rain? Obviously the more the better, but curious as to how much base is left and will a couple inches be enough for decent conditions?
I have a place near the Pier lake area north of the Willow Flowage. We had rain all day yesterday. Not good! Everything is ice now. We really need 3- 6 inches of snow like Attakman says. If the storm on Thursday tracks south, I will cancel my plans to ride this weekend and wait for more snow.

attakman

I think 3 to 6 to really patch things up...but yeah the rain sucked...lots of slush and water on the lakes now....need it to refreeze with some colder weather...but we need snow...the moisture is beaten right out of what we have.

pclark

The trails actually looked fairly good all the way down to Minocqua from MW today considering the crap weather we have had the last 2 days. It's still 32 degrees with very light snow (a dusting) today. I have not ridden since last week so I can't really give you actual trail conditions but looking at trail#2 (pic below) towards BJ it looked pretty good this morning. Meeting with a couple of buddies who were up near Hurley today and his comment was that trails were rough. I'll know more after I meet with him tonight.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2ef6.jpeg

harski

attakaman, are all lakes marked by you? Still looking slushy? Any other input re your area would be great! Thank you!

attakman

As mentioned above....MOST are marked (Alice, Nokomis, the Spirit, Oneida, Hancock).....there is little to no slush if u stay close to the markers...if u get off the trail...there can be slush, but it's not bad