Tomahawk Area 1/24/23

attakman

The clubs are all out and grooming, and trails look really nice.....even with the heavy traffic over the weekend, trails held up nicely...found very few rough trails on our saturday afternoon /evening loop...was actually surprised how good they were with all the traffic...we did get a dusting to a half inch of new snow over night..so it whitened things up a bit...expecting a few more dustings the end of the week, and much colder temps...which will really help with the grooming...trails should hold up nicely for the up coming weekend. If you stay close to the markers, and barrels on the lakes you won't have any issues with slush, you will only find slush if you venture off trail...and there isn't much out there anyways (not nokomis anyhow)....People keep asking me what's marked....all of the main lakes here in Tomahawk are marked and have been since new years weekend (Nokomis, Spirit, Mohawksin, Alice, Oneida, Hancock, and the Willow)...I don't know about lakes further north as they had more snow, and could not mark certain lakes due to unsafe conditions and slush (check with the area clubs where u will be riding for more info on there lakes)...we didn't have as big of an issue with that here, and as of last week we had anywhere from 12 to 16 inches of ice on Nokomis. (guys have been driving trucks and side by sides out there for weeks)

the only area thats a bit rough and snirty is the railroad grade from Highway 8 to Hwy K......it's been groomed nightly...but that corridor gets hammered every weekend...we could groom it 24-7, and it still would be snirty and rough...nothing we can do about it...it just gets heavy traffic due to the food places, gas station , and watering holes all located off that trail in a two mile stretch.

Head east from town (Harrison Hills), or head northwest from Lake Nokomis and you'll find some really good riding.

Should be another great weekend of riding.. so get out there and enjoy it!!

liv2ride

Thanks Attakman! The lakes north of the Willow Flowage are marked. Squirrel lake and others in that area are marked. The trail leading to the Pier Willow area bars from the south loop of the Willow is detoured. It's the spillway trail 12/5 from trail 8. Water from the Willow river broke through the trail.

Thanks Attakman! The lakes north of the Willow Flowage are marked. Squirrel lake and others in that area are marked. The trail leading to the Pier Willow area bars from the south loop of the Willow is detoured. It's the spillway trail 12/5 from trail 8. Water from the Willow river broke through the trail.
Have you taken the detour yet?

liv2ride

Have you taken the detour yet?
Not this year yet. It's been a detour from time to time over the years. The detour is well marked and just takes you to the road for a half mile or so. just the same as the summer ATV trail. If you want to avoid the road, just take the trail 8 another mile or two to the west and come over Willow Lake to Bucksnort, or continue to one of the other 3 bars in that area.

attakman

Btw...we had a dusting of snow yesterday and we got another 1 1/2 tonight...every little bit counts...but the trails right now are awesome (I didn't want to stop riding tonight...but ugh..work tomorrow)

attakman

Snowed another 1/2 inch last night, and currently snowing, expecting another inch or so...trails are groomed , and in nice shape for the weekend

dfattack

Btw...we had a dusting of snow yesterday and we got another 1 1/2 tonight...every little bit counts...but the trails right now are awesome (I didn't want to stop riding tonight...but ugh..work tomorrow)
I felt the same way last night! I didn't want to stop. We were in Bergland, White Pine, Gogibic and watersmeet area. Conditions were mint. Started to get colder towards the end of the day and that usually means even better trails

harski

Just spent a couple days in the area and it was great! Luckily got out of there mid-afternoon yesterday as it was crazy the amount of traffic! Bearskin was already a mess at 3pm coming back into town! Regardless, the clubs do a great job there so many thanks to them and attakman for the updates! (y)

Not this year yet. It's been a detour from time to time over the years. The detour is well marked and just takes you to the road for a half mile or so. just the same as the summer ATV trail. If you want to avoid the road, just take the trail 8 another mile or two to the west and come over Willow Lake to Bucksnort, or continue to one of the other 3 bars in that area.
I wish I would have paid attention to your reply about going further on 8...it was a little too much riding on a plowed road for me but probably not for most...enjoy

liv2ride

I wish I would have paid attention to your reply about going further on 8...it was a little too much riding on a plowed road for me but probably not for most...enjoy
I agree. The trail ride is much nicer! I will say that it's not marked as well if someone is not familiar with the area. Just stay on trail 8 until you see Pier Willow area. Trails were awesome over the weekend.