Tomahawk Area 2-28

attakman

Extremely busy weekend with HEAVY traffic again.....warm weather in combination with the heavy traffic...hurt the trails over the weekend...the wooded trails east of town in Harrison Hills, and the trails west and northwest of lake nokomis....held up well...the further north and west u get from the lake nokomis area the better the trails get.
There is more snow that direction, and the trails show it. The clubs will still be grooming at night, and that should fix alot of the damaged areas...and they are certainly rideable (and in fair to good shape for the most part)...but I fear the fat lady is warming up her vocal chords.....

Unfortunately...the railroad grade is currently in poor shape with snirt, gravel, and dirt...the base just isn't enough to withstand the amount traffic we have been getting all winter long...and the warm conditions do not help...it looks like we may get some snow the end of the week...but temps will be above average. We need snow and lots of it to get the grade back into decent riding shape. It's a shame because the Hiawatha is our main corridor from town, and to the north where the trails get better...just nothing we can do about the weather, and heavy traffic. I would avoid the railroad grade if at all possible, until we get more snow.

There is still alot of good riding to be had...it's getting to those areas they may be tough (unless we get snow)

pclark

Extremely busy weekend with HEAVY traffic again.....warm weather in combination with the heavy traffic...hurt the trails over the weekend...the wooded trails east of town in Harrison Hills, and the trails west and northwest of lake nokomis....held up well...the further north and west u get from the lake nokomis area the better the trails get.
There is more snow that direction, and the trails show it. The clubs will still be grooming at night, and that should fix alot of the damaged areas...and they are certainly rideable (and in fair to good shape for the most part)...but I fear the fat lady is warming up her vocal chords.....

Unfortunately...the railroad grade is currently in poor shape with snirt, gravel, and dirt...the base just isn't enough to withstand the amount traffic we have been getting all winter long...and the warm conditions do not help...it looks like we may get some snow the end of the week...but temps will be above average. We need snow and lots of it to get the grade back into decent riding shape. It's a shame because the Hiawatha is our main corridor from town, and to the north where the trails get better...just nothing we can do about the weather, and heavy traffic. I would avoid the railroad grade if at all possible, until we get more snow.

There is still alot of good riding to be had...it's getting to those areas they may be tough (unless we get snow)
Keep up with the forecast this upcoming weekend, looks like the Northwoods is on the rain/snow line for Saturday/Sunday storm. Could be mixture but the low is tracking across Minneapolis which says its too far north. Hopefully it's all snow but we are in the iffy month of March now.

SHOOT2KILL

Just got back...a couple clicks shy of 300 mi for a day and a half...The grade was rideable heading north from Tomahawk, but got progressively worse the closer you got to Minocqua...Minocqua was trashed Monday a.m. rode to the 17n/10e split in woodruff...The plan was to go to Hurley...lol...17n was also trashed...Turned around...All the way back to Tomahawk...In town trails were groomed and good...Started riding @ 6a.m. this morning...17s to 19n in to Price Co...12e and back down and around into Tomahawk...Forest trails were groomed nice for most of todays ride...As mentioned the grade will not survive rain if thats what they get this weekend...

pclark

Just got back...a couple clicks shy of 300 mi for a day and a half...The grade was rideable heading north from Tomahawk, but got progressively worse the closer you got to Minocqua...Minocqua was trashed Monday a.m. rode to the 17n/10e split in woodruff...The plan was to go to Hurley...lol...17n was also trashed...Turned around...All the way back to Tomahawk...In town trails were groomed and good...Started riding @ 6a.m. this morning...17s to 19n in to Price Co...12e and back down and around into Tomahawk...Forest trails were groomed nice for most of todays ride...As mentioned the grade will not survive rain if thats what they get this weekend...
When I came back from Rhinelander today 3/1 at 11am the grade 17N was not looking good, the trails heading off into the woods looked good. It was sunny and 32 this afternoon up in the Northwoods. We seemed to hold onto things up here in Manitowish Waters but the sun is stepping up it's game as it normally does in March. Depends on what we get this weekend weatherwise in my opinion if the trails survive, they are saying snow up here Saturday & Sunday right now. I think I am heading out for a ride on Thursday and if I do I'll have a report but I will be north and NW of MW and Mercer.

gen2

Very interested in the updates. Thank you ! Our Couples group is staying just northeast of Tomahawak near Harshaw this weekend . 3/3-3/5

attakman

Yes...the forecast has me very concerned...praying this storm moves a bit further south...and everything north of hwy 8 stays in the snow bands...then things could be really nice....however ...if we get rain...it's gonna screw everything up, the lakes will be a slushy mess.....and the worst thing is...idiots are still gonna come ride in the rain, and warm weather which will destroy what little base we will have...if it rains this weekend PLEASE PARK YOUR SLEDS!!! help us save what trail base we have left...so we can ride into late march.....there is still some hope though (even if we get the rain)...it's still too far out to predict...but another bigger storm might impact us by mid week next week, and so far this one looks like a BIG snow maker...(with colder air behind it)...keep your fingers crossed!!!

Rode today from Lake Nokomis to the NW. Bearskin RR grade was frozen ice/gravel until we could go across the lake to the Giraffe/Twin Bay. From there the woods trails NW were great and very few riders. Trails to the Willow flowage area were great. If we get rain on Saturday it will be over unless we get new snow

attakman

Right now freezing rain ..
About a quarter of an inch accumlation...terrible roads...supposed to change to rain later this morning...about an inch of rain expected...hopefully people are smart enough to park their sleds when it starts raining, so we can preserve our base a bit...rain, 40 degrees, and knuckleheads out riding in it will kill these trails fast

old abe

Whoa! A inch of rain is way too much to with stand. And it would be the equivalent of 10 to 12" snow! What a bummer. Sucks big time as we wanted to get one more trip in.
Right now freezing rain ..
About a quarter of an inch accumlation...terrible roads...supposed to change to rain later this morning...about an inch of rain expected...hopefully people are smart enough to park their sleds when it starts raining, so we can preserve our base a bit...rain, 40 degrees, and knuckleheads out riding in it will kill these trails fast

SHOOT2KILL

Question for a lincoln Co/Tomahawk local rider...On Monday 2/28 I noticed that the County/City plow truck driver decided to scrape the snow/ice along both sides of the roads where the Hiawatha trail crosses...It was atleast a 2'+ mound of frozen snow/ice boulders at each road crossing...Seemed very unprofessional for that plow driver to do that...Wondering if there is a RIFF between the SnoMo club and the Road Crews...

old abe

Question for a lincoln Co/Tomahawk local rider...On Monday 2/28 I noticed that the County/City plow truck driver decided to scrape the snow/ice along both sides of the roads where the Hiawatha trail crosses...It was atleast a 2'+ mound of frozen snow/ice boulders at each road crossing...Seemed very unprofessional for that plow driver to do that...Wondering if there is a RIFF between the SnoMo club and the Road Crews...
POS perhaps?

attakman

Also I forgot to mention that this plow driver did what he did AFTER the entire grade was fresh groomed earlier that morning...
The club knows about it...unfortunately they are told to plow the banks back this time of year for plowing...the driver though could have lifted his plow where the trail crossed...no reason to berm it like that....we do have some plow nazis that hate snowmobiles up here...I think they are the same guys who plow all the ice roads through the snowmobile trails on the lake. (Lots of that this year too).

attakman

And the fat lady is warming up....LINCOLN COUNTY just closed zones 2,3, and 4..only zone one remains open.....there is still alot of snow in the woods, and they are definitely rideable...but the railroad grade is shot...and the lakes have some slush on them...but the wet, slushy areas are freezing back up with the cooler temps...however there is zero snow in the forecast the next 7 to 10 days...so things aren't looking great.

old abe

And the fat lady is warming up....LINCOLN COUNTY just closed zones 2,3, and 4..only zone one remains open.....there is still alot of snow in the woods, and they are definitely rideable...but the railroad grade is shot...and the lakes have some slush on them...but the wet, slushy areas are freezing back up with the cooler temps...however there is zero snow in the forecast the next 7 to 10 days...so things aren't looking great.
Thanks for your honest report attakman. We are not throwing the towel in yet, but time is running short.