Tomahawk area Update 12/30/22

attakman

Nothing Good to report...unfortunately...it rained hard last night...the lakes (even the ones that were marked) are now slushy and wet...we also lost quite a bit of snow cover with the warm weather, and rain.....the trails are very soft, and will not hold up with the heavy traffic that continues to pound them...lots of sleds up here...and I'm sure this will not stop them from riding.

AND...Johnson Creek on trail 10 spur opened up....(this runs from Gordo's garage from hwy CC north to Hwy 8...Please avoid this area until it refreezes)..a sled went through, and is currently stuck in the creek, the driver got out but was soaked from the waist down.

As mentioned yesterday...we could not mark Lake Mohawksin, it is considered unsafe at this point.. (ALL of the lakes are slushy and wet right now)

My sled will be parked until we get colder weather and more snow ...mother nature is playing a cruel joke on us, after a great start to the season (the first time in many years we are open between Christmas and new years)..with more rain in the forecast for monday into to tuesday, its not looking good....sorry....there's nothing good to report today

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
....sorry....there's nothing good to report today
That's for sure. A lot of times these melt downs give me the Blues but so far I'm holding my own. Maybe because it's early but it would've been nice to get out there before New Years. Still lots of winter to come. Think Snow!

IOWASLEDDER

Nothing Good to report...unfortunately...it rained hard last night...the lakes (even the ones that were marked) are now slushy and wet...we also lost quite a bit of snow cover with the warm weather, and rain.....the trails are very soft, and will not hold up with the heavy traffic that continues to pound them...lots of sleds up here...and I'm sure this will not stop them from riding.

AND...Johnson Creek on trail 10 spur opened up....(this runs from Gordo's garage from hwy CC north to Hwy 8...Please avoid this area until it refreezes)..a sled went through, and is currently stuck in the creek, the driver got out but was soaked from the waist down.

As mentioned yesterday...we could not mark Lake Mohawksin, it is considered unsafe at this point.. (ALL of the lakes are slushy and wet right now)

My sled will be parked until we get colder weather and more snow ...mother nature is playing a cruel joke on us, after a great start to the season (the first time in many years we are open between Christmas and new years)..with more rain in the forecast for monday into to tuesday, its not looking good....sorry....there's nothing good to report todayI
I had a snowmobile rental reservation starting Saturday 12/31 until Tuesday 1/3. I received a phone call last night about 6pm from Headwaters/Trackside that they canceled all reservations until further notice. Yesterday's warmth must have deteriorated the trails big time if a rental place is calling customers and canceling their reservations. I was coming up from Iowa. Good thing I wasn't already up there when they called as we were leaving 6am this morning (Friday) to drive up. Just sucks! I was so looking forward to this snowmobile trip.

attakman

I had a snowmobile rental reservation starting Saturday 12/31 until Tuesday 1/3. I received a phone call last night about 6pm from Headwaters/Trackside that they canceled all reservations until further notice. Yesterday's warmth must have deteriorated the trails big time if a rental place is calling customers and canceling their reservations. I was coming up from Iowa. Good thing I wasn't already up there when they called as we were leaving 6am this morning (Friday) to drive up. Just sucks! I was so looking forward to this snowmobile trip.
They have more snow that way, than we do...the rain and melt down did hurt....however I think the main reason they were cancelling reservations is the lakes up there are not safe, and will not be marked before the new years....not having the lakes marked is very dangerous for people who aren't from the area, and the majority of trails in the northwoods do cross lakes unfortunately

SHOOT2KILL

Headwaters/Trackside
I was just looking at their webcam...All the rentals are still just sitting in their lot...The trail in front is down to MUD...I got 500 miles on so far this season, but I have had to do some serious snow chasing to get those miles...The U.P. is still looking real nice as I look at all the webcams up there...Cloverland Rentals in Ironwood looks to have all their 30+ rentals all rented...Theres only maybe 1-2 still sitting in their lot...

Last edited:

wisco-mb

For us that have so much invested into the sport, these meltdowns are disappointing. For things out of our control, I try not to let them bother me, but it's hard!
Central WI finally got a good December snowfall, and it's wiped out in 2 days. Madison broke the high record yesterday. The daily record stood for a whole 3 years!
The big disappointment for me, is that we never had these warm ups last year. Central and Southern WI didn't have snow the entire season, so it didn't matter! Can't win sometimes.
All we can do is hope though! Still early. I did get out and ride when we had the snow though.

attakman

Finally some good news...
The temp dropped all day...its 21 currently...and things are freezing up a bit...AND there is now a chance of a little light snow Saturday night with temps not quite as warm as they had predicted earlier this week
.....ALSO...they have updated the forecast...now saying less rain and more snow for the northwoods tuesday...now saying 3 to 5 inches, and much colder air behind the system...so looking much better than it did just 24 hours ago

hermie

From what I am seeing they have taken all the rain out of the forecast which is really good. I went out today in Saint Germain it's a mix of still decent well set up trails that should be a really good base and some really snirrty trails. The traffic has all cleared out. Saw maybe 40 sleds in the 80 miles we rode. Yesterday probably saw over a 100 sleds when I went into town to pickup a few things. Left the covers on the sled yesterday. I think trails would of held up pretty good and made for a better base if people would of stayed off the trails yesterday but what's done is done now hope for more snow and cold. Most of the trails that use roads are a solid sheet of ice bad for driving but good for not killing your carbides.

Last edited: