Tomahawk update 3-14-23

attakman

I meant to update this sooner...but honestly...I've been out riding...and it's excellent out there right now....this is the most miles I've put on in 7 or 8 years. We did get anywhere from 10 to 15 inches of wet snow across the northwoods, and everything is white.

Clubs are out and grooming, and the wooded trails are as good as they get...it is however spring riding conditions...anywhere the sun hits is melting rapidly, and there is no base on the Hiawatha portion of the railroad grade......it's already down to the dirt in spots between highway 8 and Nokomis road. Surprisingly...the rock garden was in good shape as of yesterday.

The wooded trails are excellent....it was 15 below zero this morning, and everything that got groomed last night was a super highway this morning...the best March conditions I have seen in a long time.

We do have warmer temps, and some direct sunlight in the forecast for today and tomorrow, which will hurt some of the trails..and then we have some rain for Thursday, changing to snow....they are not sure of the amounts..but it could be another foot of wet cement on the high end of things, or 4 inches or so on the low end .....we'll have to wait and see..either way we should have another weekend of GOOD riding...whether it lasts more than that will be up to mother nature....but I can tell you there is a ton of snow in the woods, and it's going to take a long time to melt.....the snow on lake nokomis is deep...the old 1200 was grunting a bit trying to stay on top of the powder. (fun ..but hard on an old fart...lol)

Hoosier

We are heading up tomorrow night to start riding on Thursday. Watching where the rain will be and starting north of that. Wasn't sure if the snow was going to hold this March but it's looking good right now.

indy_500

We are heading up tomorrow night to start riding on Thursday. Watching where the rain will be and starting north of that. Wasn't sure if the snow was going to hold this March but it's looking good right now.
You’re timing it perfect! Deepest I’ve ever seen it in northern WI in March!! The rain totals are not drastic, with some good snow totals on the backside.

SunnySide

What counties are staying open past this weekend? I'm able to come up Sunday and head back home Monday and want to do it, but I'm worried some counties may close? Don't some close after March 15th (today) no matter what? Or are they all staying open as long as they can?

I'd be looking to head to Lincoln, Oneida, Vilas, or Iron counties. Preferably Lincoln or Oneida so I don't have to sit in the truck as long. Obviously how far north I go depends on what this upcoming storm does

pclark

What counties are staying open past this weekend? I'm able to come up Sunday and head back home Monday and want to do it, but I'm worried some counties may close? Don't some close after March 15th (today) no matter what? Or are they all staying open as long as they can?

I'd be looking to head to Lincoln, Oneida, Vilas, or Iron counties. Preferably Lincoln or Oneida so I don't have to sit in the truck as long. Obviously how far north I go depends on what this upcoming storm does
Price, Oneida, Vilas, Iron will not close until the trails are bare or 3/31 whichever comes first. Next week looks warmer with temps around 40 becoming the norm.

Hoosier

We ended up stopping in park falls. It’s warm up here but still looks like a lot of snow. We’ll either ride from here in the morning or drive a bit further, depending on where the rain is going to hit.

attakman

Update....we are no longer in a winter weather advisory...only expecting 2 to 4 inches of snow, and a longer duration rain event...which completely sucks, because even as warm as it was the last two days the trails were outstanding....couldn't believe how good it was last night...took a 60 mile loop north and west of Nokomis after work...just amazing..even the railroad grade from just north of lake nokomis was really good...the rock garden was good as well...just amazing last night...white, flat and fast, everywhere I went....I'm afraid the rain is going wreck it, and if we only get a couple inches of snow, it probably won't be enough to repair the damage...AND the rain will cause ponding on the lakes...which means slush (let's hope they are wrong, and we end up with more snow than rain)....it's not looking good at this point....so now....it's a wait and see game....I'll let you know what it looks like tomorrow morning...either our season keeps rolling, or it's toast by monday

wisco-mb

Thanks for the update! Please keep us posted on conditions. I heard it was pouring rain in Hayward for a couple hours already.
I was contemplating not coming up, but my hotel was non-refundable....
Till I got a call from the hotel an hour ago. Apparently their was a maintenance emergency, and the entire hotel is shut down for the weekend now. Full refund... So I at least have that going for me...

indy_500

Thanks for the update! Please keep us posted on conditions. I heard it was pouring rain in Hayward for a couple hours already.
Till I got a call from the hotel an hour ago. Apparently their was a maintenance emergency, and the entire hotel is shut down for the weekend now. Full refund... So I at least have that going for me...
Good news is there’s tons of lodging available in the northwoods, and many are running specials. I think it’ll be fine.

Tuck

yes thank you for the updates. hopefully there is one more to come with a good weather report

wisco-mb

Good news is there’s tons of lodging available in the northwoods, and many are running specials. I think it’ll be fine.
For sure! Little different then peak season also.
I'm 2hrs to Tomahawk, and was going to do Friday night only. I have to roll back Saturday night for a commitment.
If I have to travel further North, this might not work.... We'll see how it plays out!

pclark

It looks like it has switched over to snow or will very soon in Hayward and Hayward north towards Asland, Bayfield, Douglas County is where it's going to be best I think. we have had 4 hours of steady rain in MW today and currently 37 at 3:30pm. Still holding onto the base and lots of snow in the woods, supposed to turn over to snow at 8pm, calling for 4-8" plus lake effect on Saturday.

Hoosier

It looks like it has switched over to snow or will very soon in Hayward and Hayward north towards Asland, Bayfield, Douglas County is where it's going to be best I think. we have had 4 hours of steady rain in MW today and currently 37 at 3:30pm. Still holding onto the base and lots of snow in the woods, supposed to turn over to snow at 8pm, calling for 4-8" plus lake effect on Saturday.
We’ve been riding this area today and conditions are great. No traffic today

pclark

We’ve been riding this area today and conditions are great. No traffic today
Glad you found some great conditions, we received 2" overnight in MW area so I think trails are back in good shape. It's also 19 degrees out this morning.