Tonneau for your new ride.

intowishin

Hey John, was reading your journal this morning and noticed you mentioned looking for a tonneau cover for the truck bed. When you get readyto start looking, a fellow johndee site visitor helped me out with my new ride. He hooked me up with some vent visors for the windows, and a soft top tonneau...at a very reasonable price, and the parts were shipped right to my door. His name is Ryan Carmona (rcskidoo@yahoo.com) (989-684-6128). By the way....nice ride. I too upgraded to a 2009 Chev crew cab. I have a four year old and the extra cab space with the full size rear doors is much easier to get him in and out of. Have a great week.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the tips. I was planning on getting a roll up cover so the sled would fit when rolled up.

-John

switch07

John,

I have a Truxedo Low Profile tonneau on my Dmax. It has the velcro on the sides which are angled for the low profile. I have never had a problem of it coming loose and you don't have to worry about broken or rusting snaps. I would buy another in a heart beat, good quality product and priced right. Just my .02, good luck and nice ride.

intowishin

I also have the truxedo low-pro. The other nice thing is the cross bars are integrated into the top so they roll up with the top. Once rolled up, you just squeeze two levers up front and the rolled portion comes right off. the rails are the only thing left attached to the bed. I was nervous about snow build up on the top and bending/breaking something, but I've had 10"+ and nothing happened to it. Only thing I dislike, is they do leak when it rains or you take it thru a carwash. But then again, it's a truck. As for the window guards, I have the Putco in-channel ones as well. Took about 5 mins to intall all 4. And they don't make any additional wind noise either.

GregY

Another vote for the Truxedo low profile. My son and I had the old style Truxedo (with vertical sides) on past trucks and it used to come loose. I have the low-pro on my Dakota and it holds very well.

eagle1 has a valid concern about snow loading. I can't comment on that since we seldom get "real" snow in SE Michigan.

polarfreek

I have a Truxport as shown here: http://www.truxedo.com/truxport/land.php

Chose this style as it sets on and mounts to the top of the box.
(If box width is of any concern.)

Has worked well for me so far (4 years), truck sets outside year-round.

I have the same one. Had the fiberglass cap before. Never again; they are useless unless you never use the box for anything but groceries. The roll up keeps the rain out great and gives you alot more flexability.

frosty

I have to jump on board with the Truxedo. I have the older one with the veritcal sides and never had it come loose. I know some of the other guys have, but my truck is now in 6 years old and never had a problem with it. It came on the truck from the dealer. My in laws have the low profile on their dually for the fifth wheel and my father in law also has stated the best cover he's ever owned.

saltyg

I think a hard cover that folds would be better for the snow country. [/URL]

I have a three piece folding hard cover for the bed of my Silverado that works great. So far the water has been kept out. The only complaint is that I have a cloth covered version and the cloth tends to flap in breeze as you drive.

eagle1

New cover

Well I broke down and bought a new one. My old roll up one was pretty bent up so I couldn't use rendering the bed mostly useless.

I went with a bakflip HD, pretty pricey $850 but it will still fit current 2010 Silverado's so if I trade my 2001 I can still use it.

Bought it from here:http://www.bakflip-tonneau.com/index.asp
Pretty easy to install, only had to make my drain holes bigger. I didn't take any pictures of the install but here's a short video of how it works check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YufZ0VgElWM&feature=player_embedded

Looks like a pretty quality unit. Biggest dislike (but not a big deal) so far is if you drop your tailgate you have to open tonneau as it seals on top of the tailgate.
I'll keep you posted on how I like it, but can't see why I wouldn't as it allows total access to your bed

jr37

I once was sitting at a stop light on a very windy day and saw a fiberglass cover let loose from its latch by the tailgate and flip forward. Once it hit the cab of the truck, it cracked in half at the top of the cab and folded over the top of the truck. Not a pretty site. I would go withe the soft covers, just all around nicer cover.

eagle1

If you watched the video you'll see this cover isn't going anywhere. Plenty of latches.
I know what your saying about one piece fiberglass covers with one latch, I used to have one on my '94. Nice unless you wanted to carry something tall.

AAA4948

Wind???

I once was sitting at a stop light on a very windy day and saw a fiberglass cover let loose from its latch by the tailgate and flip forward. Once it hit the cab of the truck, it cracked in half at the top of the cab and folded over the top of the truck. Not a pretty site. I would go withe the soft covers, just all around nicer cover.

I just joined this site after reading this outlandish claim. I've had two hard fiberglass tonneaus (one ARE and one Century) and need to point out a few things to people before they get a bad taste for hard tonneaus based on what jr37 claimed:

A. Hard tonneaus weigh in the neighborhood of 100 pounds (give or take depending on vendor and length).

B. Hard tonneaus don't lightly open with a finger. If you take the lift assist struts off, hard tonneaus are a pain to lift open. Even with the struts, they take a good initial lift to get it open.

C. Hard tonneaus can't open at a right angle. Even bad struts and arms restrict opening beyond even 45-degrees. Even if you strip a hard tonneau down for paint, the hinge doesn't exceed 45-degrees. There is no way they would stand straight up and then fold beyond the cab.

D. Hard tonneaus don't need the latch. I had a professor at MTU with a latch that froze open years ago on his ARE hard tonneau and he hasn't fixed it as the tonneau remains fully shut with no issues. I drove my truck from Detroit to Traverse City with my ARE tonneau with no latch. I bought it off a wrecked truck and had to get a new latch assembly from the dealer for $40. BTW, I drove highway speed (70-80MPH) all the way home on a very windy day and had no issues. I lived to tell about it right here.

E. Hard tonneaus are strong. I've had people sit and walk on both of my tonneaus with no cracking or any issues. My brother crawled across his through the slider several times when he locked the keys in his truck. Also, I've had plenty of feet of heavy Keweenaw snow on my tonneaus that would make any wind load look very insignificant.

F. Hard tonneaus are tough. I got my ARE hard tonneau off a wrecked truck that hit a power pole at 45+ MPH. The truck was majorly messed up. The tonneau didn't have scratch on it. It stayed on the truck and didn't decapitate the driver or fly through the air and kill innocent bystanders.

G. Hard tonneaus are a quality product. They cost around $1100 new. They aren't chintzy pieces of junk. They are a real quality product that has been carefully designed, tested, and people love them and are willing to pay big bucks for them.

With all of this information, there is NO way that wind alone could possibly fold one of these heavy hard tonneaus beyond 90-degrees over the cab of a truck and crack it in half. I don't want to stir things up here, I just can't believe that someone would claim something like this. I've had two hard tonneaus, my brother has a hard tonneau (ARE), my dad has a hard tonneau (ARE), my buddy has had three hard tonneaus (ARE, Astro, and Leer), his old man has had two hard tonneaus (ARE), his grandpa has a hard tonneau (Jason). None of us has EVER even had one bounce when unlatched. We love them! I got mine first and then everyone followed. They are great! Especially when you find them used for reasonable prices. I got my first ARE off that wrecked truck for $125 (quite a steal!) and had it painted for $360. I'll conclude by saying very plainly that there is no way that a tonneau would fail in the manner that jr37 described.

Back on topic: John, nice ride! That truck is real nice!

Last edited:

jr37

My claim to seeing the hard cover fold up over the cab of the truck is the honest truth. It was a very windy day. I have no idea what brand of cover it was or its condition before it happened. I did not mean to come off bashing the hard covers. I had a very good hard cover on my last truck, don't remember the brand, my dad also had a good hard cover on his last truck. It was just my opinion that the soft covers are better because it gives you the freedom of easily rolling them up and using the entire box for bigger loads, such as a sled. Everyone has a strong opinion on what they think is right, just go with what you think is best and best fits your needs.

AAA4948

I agree about the use and flelxibility of soft covers and don't think you were bashing hard tonneaus. I wanted to clearly explain that the failure you saw would only happen during hurricane force winds and wanted to let people know that this really isn't an issue with owning a hard tonneau.