Tracking of the Low for this storm

440_chazz

John

When a storm hits us (NE Wisconsin most of the time, SE Wisconsin some of the time) with a lot of snow the low usually tracks between Chicago and Sheboygan. If a low would go any farther west and north, Eastern Wisconsin is missed with the snow and gets rain. The current path of the pending storm is almost a whole state west tracking in from SW WI and exiting either the central or western UP. But forecasts including yours are indicating some healthy snow totals for the region with the big winner being the Twin Cities. Here is my question, is this storm going to pull in that much cold air to make the precip snow on the front side of the low? I am preparing myself for a gulley washer here in SE Wisconsin, but it is somewhat an abnormal scenario for it to snow that much given the present track of the low. What are the factors with this storm that is creating this abnormal scenario?

jd

Administrator
Staff member
This storm is not going to behave like the typical storm does as it rolls through the Midwest. It will become what is called "vertically stacked", meaning the surface low will be slowing and the upper air low will be catching up with it. In addition the upper air trough will become "negatively tilted", which means the southern end of the trough will be further east than the northern end.

The net result will be for the cold air to be able to build in while there is still some deeper moisture left over. So while the precip will fall as something other than snow in areas of IA, WI and IL Thursday, it will change over to snow and be able to accumulate to more than just an inch or so Friday before ending Saturday.

-John