Trail 14 L’Anse to Big Bay

The Big Bay trails are supposed to be groomed and fair condition. Don't know if Baraga is grooming 14 from L'anse to Anderson corner where Big Bay groomer turns around.

WorkHardPlayHrd

Baraga's website said they would be grooming it again on 1/1/18. Before that it was groomed on 12/30/17 and listed as fair. They say the logging is done but to watch out the equipment is still along trail. I have not been on the trail just passing on the trail report. Take with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

machzdoo

The trail from Ishpeming to Big Bay 5 and 14 is in good to very good shape . Trail 14 to Marquette also is in very good shape. Trail 5 and 32 from Republic to Gwinn is pretty thin. North of Qwinn Back to Marquette is in good shape. I hope this helps.

UPBob

The trail from Ishpeming to Big Bay 5 and 14 is in good to very good shape . Trail 14 to Marquette also is in very good shape. Trail 5 and 32 from Republic to Gwinn is pretty thin. North of Qwinn Back to Marquette is in good shape. I hope this helps.

machzdoo, When did you ride trail 14 from Big Bay to Marquette? I'm thinking of riding from Marquette to BB tomorrow? Thanks.

machzdoo

UPBob
I rode the trails today. We did not run into more than 10 sleds all day. You will not be disappointed .

UPBob

Wife and I just got back from a run to Big Bay from Marquette, trail 14. It was a decent ride on the way up but coming back this afternoon it was really getting thin. The sun tomorrow could kill it.

1fujifilm

Can anyone give me an update on trail conditions there? Looking to ride tomorrow.

Stay far far away from L'Anse. Went through there yesterday on sled to Big Bay and 15 miles either side of town is melted, snirt and rocks not to mention there is sand on all roads making it look dreary.

Bear

snowlover

Bummer on staying away from L'Anse. We were planning on riding from Greenland to Big Bay via L'Anse on the 1/20/18. We may have to change plans now unless they get more snow before then.

tbone99

Trail 5 on the way up at 11am was awesome. 6sleds meet the groomer on his way back down. But cut off to triple a then northwestern to Finns. Awesome is all I have to say. Let everyone go to the western up

dfattack

Trail 5 on the way up at 11am was awesome. 6sleds meet the groomer on his way back down. But cut off to triple a then northwestern to Finns. Awesome is all I have to say. Let everyone go to the western up

I'm sorry. I'm not following you here. You went up trail 5 to where? did you take 14 east to Big bay or west to L'Anse? If so, how was 14?

2TrakR

I'm sorry. I'm not following you here. You went up trail 5 to where? did you take 14 east to Big bay or west to L'Anse? If so, how was 14?

AAA (Triple A) is a road; Trail 14 shares it in sections. AAA can also be a shortcut from 5 to pick up 14 heading west, sounds like that is the route they ran (5 to AAA and then cut over to Finns rd). It would be the same area as 14, but not necessarily 14 itself.

tbone99

Actually cut over on AAA up Ford road to northwestern in to Finns. Surprised it was plowed the whole way but the guy at the bar said they just finished logging. The road was hard pack/ice with 2ins of snow. Fast and flat