trail # 3 mishap on 12/31/09

snohornet

Does anyone know the outcome of the accident on Trail # 3, on New Year's Eve. Happened late morning between Phoenix and "Bear Belly Bar". Couple was from Florida, first time on sleds. A great bunch of first responders and EMT's helped them out. Just wondering how they are doing?

fire126

Was that the x fire 6 that the front end was wrecked and sitting along the trail? Saw that sled on sat. the 2nd.

micelist

I was told he had a broken leg was all. Think the gal working the bar at the Cliff View was the one that told us.

Great!!!!!!!!!! hot dogs there btw

phil4snow

I think I saw the one you are talking about. The ski wasnt attached and it looked as if they hit a tree VERY fast as the snow was patted down 15 feet from the tree. After the long straight away and a hard left headed north right? Green Artic Cat with a red gas can? oh and the key was in it. Ill have to attach a picture on here.

phil4snow

Im sure this is the sled we are all talking about.

Attachments

• IMG_8370.jpg
    IMG_8370.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 511
  • IMG_8371.jpg
    IMG_8371.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 477
  • IMG_8373.jpg
    IMG_8373.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 456

tom_v

Im sure this is the sled we are all talking about.

That sled was still there on Sunday! That is the third sled that I have seen crashed into those trees in the past two seasons! I can see where that corner would be bad if you were following someone too close and/or going too fast. The way the railroad tracks used to go makes it look like the trail keeps going straight, not a hard left after a decent straightaway. If you are in any kind of snow dust you might think the trail goes straight.

With that said I have made that corner 100s of times and not had a problem.

Also, less that a mile before I got to that sled I met the groomer TOWING two crashed sleds with the owners and a Sheriff Deputy walking behind...

Tom

WIrider

All perfect examples of why staying in the bush to do your riding is a better alternative.

A little commonsense when on your snow rocket and knowing your limits goes a long way.

zrjes

There were 2 wrecks, 1 was a 2-Up Ski doo from Copper Country Rentals and the other was the Crossfire 6. I heard the Crossfire 6 gentleman had a broken leg, and a lighter wallet when all was said and done.

I was pretty worried about the couple on the 2-UP, I saw them on my way to get gas that morning in Allouez @ the BP, then we rode the pole line for most of the day and saw that wreck on our way to Lac La Belle from Phoenix. Pretty scary sight as there was a helmet visor in the trail, windshield was next to trail and the sled was really messed up. Looked like they took the turn to fast possibly, really hope they are ok. Since I had my brother in law with me who is still learning the ins and out of sledding, it was a good learning experience to see what can happen when you take the turns to fast.

Stack

snohornet

my question was about the 2-up rental Ski Doo. The accident occurred on Thursday and the sled was removed by late Thursday afternoon. Don't know how fast that sled was going...don't believe it was 90 mph. Just hoping the couple was not injured too seriously.

Last edited:

chad66

first time on sleds and doing 90?!. If so he got what he deserved. glad he hit a tree and not another rider

Your all heart! This was a guy is in his 50's and has ridden many times. That's the one problem with the internet...any idiot can make a comment.

Chad@M&M

jd

Administrator
Staff member
That's the one problem with the internet...any idiot can make a comment.

Chad@M&M

And everyone on the internet is perfect and has never made a mistake or had an accident in their life!

For what it is worth, I heard he was doing 278 mph. So he really got what he deserved! NOT! Hope he is OK and will have a full recovery.

-John

chad66

Thanks guys, we all know nobody is perfect. That being said this was M&M's rental sled and the guy was riding alone, I seen a picture of the crashed sled on the internet late Saturday night after he didn't return and I hadn't heard from him. It was a long sleepless night and I was very happy to see him limp in Sunday morning with only a broken leg. He's a nice guy and wasn't drinking, said he just hooked a rut and couldn't get it back.

Chad@M&M