trail 3 thru Hancock snow condition? as of 3/17/17

gtojim

I have heard that the snow conditions on trail 3 north thru the city of Hancock are bad . how is the trail thru Lake Linden going east out of Hancock?

gtojim

OK , I just called M&M in Hancock , trail 3 is sh***ty , lake linden route is the best way to go north around Hancock.

beerchug

But it gets really good real quick once out of town. If I was going I would stay somewhere north of the bridge.

When we came back from Copper Harbor on Wednesday 3/14/17 it was getting bad already, a lot of gravel on trail 3 from Dollar Bay to the bridge.

Mtkaboater

We today from Copper to Twin Lakes yesterday (Sat) and it was almost all decent to good to very good. Trail 3 through HDallas Bay/ Houghton was a bit tough. Most all north of the bridge was awesome.

gtojim

Snirtdawg , I stand corrected , trail 3 is dollar bay and lake linden, rode it Friday and Sunday. passable Sunday but poor to bad in Dollar Bay. Good thru Lake Linden. Crossing the bridge, BARE! ( I took the Channel but I WOULD NOT after Sunday 3/19/17

pantera

We were up there on the 18th and although it was ride-able from the east side of Hancock on up on #3, I would recommend rolling up to Lake Linden and starting from there. We dropped at Dollar Bay Motorsports after picking up a few parts for one of the guys sleds, they were super nice in getting us what we needed and let us park in their lot right alongside the trail. We rode #3 all the way up to Copper Harbor and it was nice other than the thin area from Hancock to Lake Linden. Took 134 out to the point then back down 134 to Lac La Belle, again good with plenty of snow. Bare tar though thru Lac La Belle as usual. Plenty of snow after Lac La Belle on #133 to Gay however that section is narrow, 8' rather than about 12' and with the small brush alongside the trail that would hit your windshield everyone drives down the center so it was a mogul mess, yuk! From Gay to on #124 back to the Phoenix area was absolutely beautiful! Then back down #3 to DB Motorsports which was still really good until it got thin from Lake Linden area to Hancock. I would like to come back up this weekend but looks like I have to go into work Saturday morning.

pantera

Other things to note: It is also thin thru Copper Harbor, we met a groomer around the Phoenix area and in a few other places were on recently groomed trail making the ride super nice.

Watch your speed! There was a very bad accident on #134 just a few miles past where you take a left to stay on #3 to the Brockway Mountains. Talked to the guy looking for his rental sled, he got bad intel, and talked to a guy at Lac La Belle who went thru the accident scene and said it did not look good at all. Sled was crashed into the trees where he tried to make the RH corner at too high of speed and paramedics were working on the guy on the ground. Not sure at this point if he lived or died. Very bad crash. We also came across another group after they just got done pulling one of their guys out of the rhubarb off a corner.

Talked to a guy in Phoenix who was with. It was his girlfriend. Very little to no snowmobiling experience. He said broken arm and possibly more. They were on rental sleds from Dan's. Ran into a Sheriff's Deputy at a trail crossing on Sunday and he said once she got stabilized at the hospital she started bloating real bad due to internal bleeding so they flew her to Wausau. Deputy said it didn't look good but I haven't heard anything since. He said they were averaging 3-4 injury crashes per weekend in Keweenaw County alone. Speed and alcohol.

pantera

Thanks for the info polarisman, I sure hope she is going to be ok. We assumed it was a novice rider due to the rental sled but that is not always the case since sometimes a person breaks down & finishes the weekend on a rental, but you confirmed our assumption.

Anyone know what the current trail conditions are? Will they be able to continue grooming for a while or did it warm up too much? Wanted to head back up with the wife & kids for one more ride. Wife & daugher didn't get out at all this season and my boys only got out once. I got out twice. Horrible winter...

Wow, I was up there at that time also and rode by the scene, we were heading south on 134, I saw the sled in the trees but did not stop because they had quite a few sleds already stopped and the sheriff was there also. Hope that she is alright, I kind of feel worse now because I'm a paramedic also but it looked as if they had plenty of help. If anyone knows the outcome it would be great if you could share it. As long as they got scans of her abdomin and she flew to a trauma center she should be fine. I'm assuming they hung blood in the helicopter and some medication to boost her pressure. Everything else seems non life threatening.

Last edited: