Trail App for Iphones and Adroids

radsrh

Was very interested in this app, then I was looking at there web site and found this. I am not sure I would trust an app that can make phone calls, write or delete from my sd card, capture pictures from my phones camera, or start using data internet conection without letting me know? Anyone using this have any problems with the app? Really dont like the fact that if my camera is on they can "take" pictures of what I am taking pictures of

Permissions

This application has access to the following:

Services that cost you money
directly call phone numbers

Allows the application to call phone numbers without your intervention. Malicious applications may cause unexpected calls on your phone bill. Note that this does not allow the application to call emergency numbers.

Hardware controls
take pictures and videos

Allows application to take pictures and videos with the camera. This allows the application at any time to collect images the camera is seeing.

Your location
coarse (network-based) location

Access coarse location sources such as the cellular network database to determine an approximate device location, where available. Malicious applications can use this to determine approximately where you are.

fine (GPS) location

Access fine location sources such as the Global Positioning System on the device, where available. Malicious applications can use this to determine where you are, and may consume additional battery power.

Network communication
full Internet access

Allows an application to create network sockets.

Storage
modify/delete USB storage contents modify/delete SD card contents

Allows an application to write to the USB storage. Allows an application to write to the SD card

fusionfool

I started using the Polaris app this year. I like it for during a stop you can check the trails you want to take. For those that need to use like a GPS, this is not the app for you. You need cell service to reference your location. It is not going to be that accurate as to all of the trails, especially when in area's like Chassel, and Baraga, MI. We knew that some of the trails they show have been closed / re-routed for a couple of years. For a person not knowing that area the app could be misleading. All in all a good reference app for a stop.

Polarice

The problem with any app for any phone for trails is that if you lose service your done. Therefore they are all pretty much worthless. I just use a regular garmin and it works great with no problems.

Perhaps an app would work if you're sitting at your hotel/cabin trying to map out the next day's ride.

L

lenny

all you really need to now is that it's just right up around the next bend, a right at the big tree, down the hill and your there,,, come on guys!

switch07

I have used this app in the UP with no phone service and it still works. It is running off the gps that is looking at satellites not cell towers. I have mapped our whole trip in and out of cell service with no problems. As far as taking my pictures and other stuf.....a little too much paranoia going on here in my opinion. Works for me just saying......

snowbound83

Same here I believe the app operates off of the GPS on your phone so service should have nothing to do with it. The only problem I have the app it doesn't show any trail numbers. Other than that its a good free app.

polarisrider1

It's nice to have, but it is not up to date (especially in the SWL).
Your right. I suspect they just copied the DNR trail maps which have been outdated for years. They keep showing the west Michigan trail from Lowell to Alto to Middleville to Wayland/ Allegan as if it is still one trail all the way south to the state line. This has not been for years. It currently is a chopped up mess. Also a few of the Irons trails have changed and the app runs you up a driveway in one spot south of Irons. So the App should be used for reference and not as law from what I see of it on my phone.