Trail signs - Poor examples

wisco-mb

My education group is hosting a trail signing workshop at the AWSC workshop this fall. I'm looking for any photos of poor signing examples.
I attached one as an example of how not to sign an intersection. Any photos or examples would be appreciated!
I'm putting together a power point for this.
It should be an interesting workshop since I'm sure there will be many points of view. We are basing it off the current WI DNR trail signing booklet. https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/sites/default/files/topic/Aid/grants/CF0023.pdf
Thanks!
I also posted this on HCS. I got some good photos from some folks including @SHOOT2KILL.

Attachments

• Intersection picture.jpg
    Intersection picture.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 66

pclark

Good thread, when I assumed trail master duties for our club I had never done the job, in fact our club had no trails. I knocked on doors to gain permission to access property to run our trails. Then I studied how to lay out properly marked trails, perhaps we were oversigned and marked but at least people knew where they were going and every mile of our trails were perfectly signed. I’ve been on poorly marked trails but I’ve also been on perfectly marked trails, the people that do the work are volunteers, and most do a a great job because they love what they do. We do need younger people to get involved though, hammering stakes in with a stake pounder when you’re 60 can be brutal after you done it all day. Thanks to all the clubs for their hard work.

whitedust

Trail signs are for newbies and you have to look at signage thru their eyes. Once I have been down a trail I pretty much know where I’m going don’t bother with signs other than they mark a fork in the trail that is expected or I’m at this point take a break. I do get confused on lake chains no land marks to relate to so do you follow tracks or look for signs that aren’t there? Imo don’t enter a chain of large lakes unless you are with someone who knows the way.