Trailer Enclosures

007_bond

I have a V-nose drive on drive off trailer that I want to have enclosed. I'd prefer an Aluminum enclosure. Has anyone added an after market to their existing trailer? Any companies within 2 hours of Minneapolis? Approximate cost?

skiroule

I had Snocaps put a 65” enclosure on my four-place this winter (they have three heights available). No question they produce a quality product and they are located just west of you on Highway 12 in Montrose, MN. They threw in some fuel doors to sweeten the pot for me. I also added three LED lights for the interior that are wired into the trailer harness, which provide great interior light. When they install the enclosure, you have a choice of having the aluminum frame welded or bolted to your trailer. I went with the welding. If you do give them a call, you will most likely talk to the owner so he definitely will be able to answer your questions.

In my experience, the biggest advantages are that it adds little weight (it is very light – about 250 lbs), the cost, and the fact that you can use your existing trailer, including the drive-off shields/ramps. I think the biggest disadvantage is that it is somewhat less user-friendly than a full blown aluminum enclosed trailer. Both the zippered rear door and the front clamshell style opening seem a little harder to work than a typical enclosed trailer. Still, for me it was the right choice because I couldn’t swing a new aluminum rig and my machines are protected, which was the point in the first place.

It’s just my opinion but if you’re looking at adding an aluminum enclosure, you’d be better off selling your trailer and buying one outright. I think the cost would be about the same.

FYI, if you’re looking at a four-place, the cost of a 65” Snocap would be in the neighborhood of $2200 (with no options). Yes, you could probably find a cheaper product but I think you would pay a higher price in the long run.
Hope this helps.

garyl62

I have a V-nose drive on drive off trailer that I want to have enclosed. I'd prefer an Aluminum enclosure. Has anyone added an after market to their existing trailer? Any companies within 2 hours of Minneapolis? Approximate cost?

.....It’s just my opinion but if you’re looking at adding an aluminum enclosure, you’d be better off selling your trailer and buying one outright. I think the cost would be about the same.....

I looked into this quite a bit last summer. I had a 10' and I really needed at least a 12' so I was looking for something different. I had a buddy with a 16' open floe so we talked about going together and making it an enclosed 3 place. Skiroule is right, by the time I would have been done, I would have spent more then selling and buying something else used. Something else you need to think about is the weight limits on your trailer. This was important for me because I was going to build my own and wanted ramp doors etc. I had a long conversation with a guy that has won national off road truck championships and builds a lot of things out of aluminum. He used to build his own race trailers and built his first snowmobile trailer enclosure. He really had some good points that steered me away from doing it. Eventhough I was mainly looking to build my own, but I did look into buying an enclosure, however in the long run I ended up selling my 10' and buying a used 12' enclosed Triton. Overall I ended up actually saving money by doing it that way.

garyl62

Check out the used inventory at M & M Powersports. They are in the Northwoods Directory at the bottom of the menu at the left of this screen. Scroll down through the sleds and just before the cycles they have a used aluminum enclosure for $1,000. Not sure about the size or how it opens but look into it and call them.