trailer power 2011 suburban LTZ

Flight75

Hey guys I am new here and have a question. I have a 2011 suburban LTZ with the tow pakage. I just purchased a inline snowmobile trailer and the dome lights inside the trailer were not working at the trailer dealer. He opened the hood and looked by the drivers side front fender and said the there was a wire with an eyelet on it that needed to be connected to a post to get 12V to the trailer for aux power.

I connected the wire and attached it with the nut he gave me and the trailer aux power still did not work. Let me be clear here, everything else on the trailer works, turn, stop, brake, runnning lights and trailer brakes are all working properly.

So i them read after a brief search that I need to connect a red/black wire that is located under the brake booster to the other post on the front passenger side of the fuse box. when I tried to put it on that post it would not fit so I assumed they just meant on the post on the drivers side front of the fuse box. so anyway that is where I landed both wires and it seems to be working fine.

Is what i did correct?

Is the trail aux power always hot?

Hey guys I am new here and have a question. I have a 2011 suburban LTZ with the tow pakage. I just purchased a inline snowmobile trailer and the dome lights inside the trailer were not working at the trailer dealer. He opened the hood and looked by the drivers side front fender and said the there was a wire with an eyelet on it that needed to be connected to a post to get 12V to the trailer for aux power.

I connected the wire and attached it with the nut he gave me and the trailer aux power still did not work. Let me be clear here, everything else on the trailer works, turn, stop, brake, runnning lights and trailer brakes are all working properly.

So i them read after a brief search that I need to connect a red/black wire that is located under the brake booster to the other post on the front passenger side of the fuse box. when I tried to put it on that post it would not fit so I assumed they just meant on the post on the drivers side front of the fuse box. so anyway that is where I landed both wires and it seems to be working fine.

Is what i did correct?

Is the trail aux power always hot?

Went through this on my 08, did you add the cube fuse? On mine the wire fit the post it was suppose to be on.

harski

On my '04 Suburban I had to install a fuse in the main fuse box under the hood. I don't have the truck with me at the moment to snap a quick photo for you....

Harski

wolfriver

I had the same issue and i made my dealer hook it up. I told him that if you are selling me a truck with a towing package that it better work when i hook it up to my trailer. They made a fuss about it but I told him that they could have the new truck back and they sent a guy out and made it all work.

pirate

hey if that's a 2011 take it right back to the dealor and make them fix it right... don't tell them you did anything.. have a few friend's that work at dealor's and have heard some pretty ****y stories on how the try to get out of thing's or even try to void your warranty if you mess with it yourself... there NO reason that shouldn't work from the factory and be coverd..
pirate

fredster

Found this on the web: "There are two wires under your hood that need to be hooked up. One of them powers the 12v port on the trailer connector, and the other is the power lead for the electric brake harness under the dash. I forget which wire is where, but one of them is taped on the firewall under the master cylinder and the other is taped between the underhood fuse panel and the inner fender. They're two different sized wires, with different sized ends. One of them connects to "stud 1" and the other connects to "stud 2". The ends are sized to properly fit on only one of the studs each, so you can't mess it up... Finally, be sure that there is a 40a fuse in the "stud 1" location, and a 30a fuse in the "stud 2" location".

I recall hooking up both on my 2007 Tahoe and later on my (used) 2007 Silverado. Your 2011 should be similar. My 2003 Silverado did NOT come with the fuses installed for either post. I think I had to buy these for the 2007's, too. Remove the cover and check for the fuses, there' s a good chance they're not there.

tower11

Bought a new 2011 Chev PU with integrated towing that had a option price of $200 on the sticker. Hooked it up to a trailer a few days later and nothing worked. The dealer said I would have to pay to get the wires connected and the fuse installed. I'll skip the conversation I had with the service manager and just say they did it for nothing. Make your dealer finish the job you paid for.

fredster

That's a raw deal to pay for the integrated towing and then it's not ready! It takes about 10 minutes to hook up both wires and install the fuse.....should be part of dealer prep.

My 2003 Duramax Crewcab came without the fuses. I believe I was thinking clearly enough to just ask for that as part of the delivery. 2007 pickup I bought used, and yep - no fuses.

Just one more way for the general to save $1 by not installing 2 fuses......

zx6r1996

Ford plug and go.

I am a true Ford guy, and I would love to use this opportunity to poke fun at the Chevy, but...

My 2005 F250 Super Duty did not have the fuse installed from the factory either. I just acquired a 2008 F450 Super Duty, and my trailer's interior lights do not work when connected to this new truck, so I assume the fuse is missing on it too (I haven't gotten around to looking for it yet). It does seem a little hokey that you need to connect a wire AND install a fuse, but whatever.. I guess I can take a small jab at GM there. :)

I bought the 2005 brand new off the lot, so I know for sure this is how Ford ships them (that year, anyway).

Obviously I don't know on the F450 yet, but on my F250 the 12V trailer power is switched with the ignition. Obviously the idea here is that the trailer can't kill your truck battery if the lights are left on inside. The downside to this is that the interior lights did not work when the truck was not running, so I installed a battery in the trailer in parallel with the 12V feed, so when the truck is off, the battery in the trailer will run in the interior lights.

mride460 mentioned that the 12V is supposed to be constant, but in the case of my truck(s), it is not constant - it's only present when the ignition is on.

Last edited:

markf419

All plug n play on my 05 Dodge. That's crap to pay for an option that's not ready to use. What don't they understand about the words "tow PACKAGE" My option was 400 plus bucks, it better damn well have worked.

Pizza Man

When I bought my Chev Truck, I ordered the factory towing package.
When I bought my Loadmaster In line, I pluged it in at the dealer and everything work, lights outside, inside and the electric brakes.

favoritos

We have had 4 GM tow rigs since 2007 that all needed the fuse. That was all they needed for the interior lights and supply for the backup brake battery.