Trailer ramp pin

tritonmark

Anyone have to ever replace the bolt that holds the front drive off ramp on a triton 4 -place trailer? Tried heating with a torch but having a hard time getting the old bolt out. The bolt broke and now have to get it out of 2 pieces of aluminum.

jimfsr

welcome to dissimilar metal corrosion. Not really a good way to do it. Cut it off and weld on a new hinge, and grease it a lot. You could spend hours and just end up destroying it anyway.

edmarino

Depending on how good you are you could drill it out and run a tap back in to renew the old thread or stay smaller and use a smaller dia bolt. The old bolt is not going to come out or get loose.

elf

I've had to do this a couple of times. I've had the bolt break off and had to remove it. I would cut the bolt off flush with the hinge and then start drilling it out. Usually once I got half of it drilled I could usually then pound it out. Heat does make a big difference in the ease of doing this. Since then I have learned to pull to bolts out each year and pump the hole in the hinge full of grease. Do it every year now and haven't had an issues for 3-4 yrs.