Trailer Tires

brewskiwi

I have an R & R trailer that users 148R12c tires that are hard to find and i don't like the skinny tires. When I'm turning around in unplowed parking lots or in the woods the damn trailer just digs in.

Is there any reason why I can't put on smaller wider tires like are on most snowmobile trails. This will also lower my trailer for me

Thanks in advance

Mike

jimfsr

If you do not have brakes and the hubs will fit inside the 10" wheels then yes you could swap them out. Don't worry about the bearings and tire speed, most snow trailers have the smaller wheels, and they work fine.

anonomoose

I agree with JIM...so long as you have clearance and they fit the bolt pattern, size is not important. And as long as you pull the bearings and make sure they are not pitted and worn out, you can pull that trailer 200 mph and it won't matter.

If a tire gets hot when you stop for fuel and put your hand on the rubber and hub (which you should do anyway when you stop) put more air in it and ignore the sticker on the tire. More air less friction and less heat. Heat kills tires. While I would not recommend it, I have had 85 pounds in those tiny tires and they cool down nicely by doing it. Of course I had it over loaded and I didn't drive like a Catholic out of church, but in a pinch you can do it.

Good bearings and wide tires makes for a much easier maneuvering trailer in the snow.