Trip advice - where to go

elf

Looking for some ideas for my groups next snowmobile trip. We go out west every other year as a group and we've always gone to Beaver Creek Lodge in Northern Utah. Great place and the riding and accommodations are also great but looking for something new.
We are a fly and rent crowd (I'm not opposed to driving but others are so that limits us) so need to be within a couple of hours of a airport, like to have rentals, lodging, and meals all on site. Any good suggestions?

Last edited:

600_RMK_144

Have you considered West Yellowstone / Island Park area? Bucket list trip for me that got checked off the list in 2017. Tons of places to stay and play. VERY sled friendly community, ride sleds in-town, etc. The one crappy thing is the only way you can ride inside the National Park (and you WANT to ride inside the park) is with a guide, renting one of their sleds. It REALLY rubs me the wrong way that I haul my sled out there 20+hrs, but then I gotta rent if I wanna ride inside the park??? Really not cool! Personally I think it's a racket with the rental companies to make sure they get plenty of business. Technically, they have a lottery where they will let 10 or so private groups into the park without a guide. I checked into it a couple years ago, but the catch is even that is limited to "best available technology" > meaning if you don't have the right sled, then they don't allow it.

All that said, you REALLY, REALLY should take a day and ride inside the park. I did not (on principal) and kick myself for being so stubborn. A couple of my buddies did it and saw some amazing things, wildlife, etc. But even if you decide not to ride the park, there is PLENTY of riding to do without that. Highly recommend that everyone try to make it out there at least once.

wiscrev

Lived just 3 hours from Yellowstone back in the 90's before the ban. Have been in that park all 4 seasons but my fav was winter with the sled. Valley around Old Faithful was awesome.

elf

I've been to West Yellowstone twice in the past 3 years and the riding is amazing. Tried to book a tour for the first year and they were fully booked out. Didn't try to do it last time but still want to at some time.
I think we are leaning towards Crooked Creek Guest Ranch in Dubois, WY. We looked into 4-5 spots and this seems to provide good value and we've gotten some good feedback from people who've been there.

skiroule

Dubois used to be our go-to destination for western riding. I’ve stayed at Crooked Creek a couple of times. Always enjoyed staying there and I liked the location. Last time we stayed there we had a group of five and we rented their largest unit. It was huge and more than big enough for our group.

We would ride both north and south from there but I personally liked to head south towards Kendall Valley. Lots of valley and meadow riding with options to do a little more aggressive climbing. Plus, it doesn’t get pounded like it does up around Togwotee.

With maybe a couple of exceptions, we were mostly a group of modest riders (including me) but on one trip we did manage to work our way to the top of a wind-blown lookout point which gave us a 360 degree view of the mountain range. Very cool.
Wy_Lookout_1.jpg