Trip for Monday-Wednesday, Worth it? If so, Where?

snomobubl

A buddy and I were originally planning to depart tomorrow and head to Wisconsin or the western U.P. I put the plans on hold based on warm temperatures and usual heavy weekend traffic conditions. I was up there last week in Silver City. The new snow was just enough to freshen up the beaten trails. However I was not sure if it was enough to make it through the warm temps and heavy weekend traffic. I have not made any lodging plans and have flexibility on location if we decide to go. I was hoping to get some feedback from people who have a good handle on current conditions.

So basically, is it worth going? If so, where?

dfattack

I'm not on the western end of the U.P. but I know the high temp today was about 10 degrees warmer than was forecast. I have lost about 3" of snow between yesterday and today where I am in Florence, WI. Roads are melting fast so I assume trails exposed to the sun will be melting the same. I was up in Big Bay 2 days ago and I think they had enough snow to get through this temporary warm-up, but not in the lower snow areas like northern WI. I would imagine the trails took a huge beating from whoever actually stayed this weekend and rode...even in the higher snow areas. Once the clubs get out to fix up the mess when the temps drop things should get better, especially with the snow in the forecast. If you could wait until next weekend that would seem to make more sense. I'm not riding now after the last couple of days. Hope that helps.

440_chazz

I'm one of the stupid fools that stayed...rode three lakes, sugar camp, eagle river, st germain, sayner, star lake, lando, and phelps. Everything is trashed. Tons of snirt and muddy bare spots. Don't know if the groomers can get it back in shape. There is snow still left on trails but its all granular Brown sugar. Bottom line is northern wisconsin needs snow....again

mrsrunningbear

Groomers will go out tomorrow or late tonight in Watersmeet and Bruce Crossing/Sidnaw. The temp finely dropped to 23 our high was only 35 today, yesterday was 43. We'll report tomorrow on whats left of the trails over here

renten

Did the same thing! My cottage is in Boulder so we headed out everyday based on reports and talking with other riders. We were fortunate to arrive on Tue. Went to all of the same WI areas plus UP. Everything Wi was good Tues-Thurs, then temps and traffic blew it apart. Gogebic grooming is a lost cause, save the $45 dollars and use it for a few lunch burgers at stillwaters. I'm sure we crossed paths. Looking forward to the next snow so I can throw a few things together and slam the door of my Middleton home and head north.

renten

Watersmeet does a great job maintaining their trail system and making the best of what they have to work with. Gogebic, excuse after excuse.

Glad you got some good riding in renten! We had to head home on Wednesday but had a blast on Tuesday with the fresh snow. I was hoping it would last more than a few days with all the snow they got with that storm but it seems it didn't once again. Hopefully more snow soon!

Swampy

Tomahawk area got pounded pretty hard but there's still snow if you can manage to stay away from heavily traveled areas close to town. We did two
shifts and I pulled an all nighter to try and get everything back in shape West of town. It got cold fast and the bumps were hard because of the night
we lost due to the warm temps. Might take a couple more trips to get it perfect but there's still snow out there and I'm gonna ride em.

Myself and others were ridiculed for canceling trips up to this area this weekend. These reports confirm that I made the right decision. Glad I saved the days and money for two weeks from now when the weather looks good.

whitedust

Myself and others were ridiculed for canceling trips up to this area this weekend. These reports confirm that I made the right decision. Glad I saved the days and money for two weeks from now when the weather looks good.

Do your research then go with your guts about a particular area and don't worry what anyone else thinks. Historical trends usually hold true for trail conditions.