Turtle-Flambeau fishing trip

mxz_chris

Heading up for a 4 day weekend, July 8-11. I have fished in the spring, but never summer on the flowage. Anyone have any walleye/smallmouth/crappie tips they want to share. I am assuming a typical summer pattern of drop-offs and rocks, but any help would be appreciated.

ubee

flowages are very low right now,lots of small fish being caught in the stump fields on night crawlers

redrat75

Tff

How did the trip go? I'm sorry it's been a while since I have been on the sight but I love TFF. I have been fishing the TFF since I was 6 years old! It is the coolest place to fish, just have to know where your going it is easy to tear gear up! If you decide to go back I can give you some tips! I hope all went well!

redrat75

The bottle bass are the easy one to get when the fish are in the summer pattern! But it is the best place to enjoy a bottle bass and watch the eagles and loons. The eyes are a little harder to get in the summer but that is the best time for camping on the islands. How was the boat traffic? This spring I was amazed at how many boat were out fishing, there were 9 boats in the beaver flats, felt like I was fishing in southern WI with all the boats in the flats!

mxz_chris

The islands were full, and lots of boats. We always had another boat in sight wherever we were fishing. Had a few morning mayfly hatches, so we never saw a walleye. I am not that great at walleye fishing though. Had a good time at Donners Bay at a Saturday afternoon pig roast. 75 and sunny for 4 days, great time.

Last edited:

ubee

Looks like the turtle flambeau got hit with a tornado and some campers were injured,also conover had lots of damage from straight line winds!hope everybody gets well! Donners a great pit stop summer and winter!

Attachments

• DSC06204.jpg
    DSC06204.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 41
  • P3060809.jpg
    P3060809.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 36

redrat75

It makes me want to get a weather radio for when I go camping out there.
I have been through some sever weather camping out there but nothing like that!
All you can do is secure your camp the best you can and hope for the best!
I think the strongest wind I have see up there was about 3 years ago. The wind was so strong that it capsized a boat in front of us, just to the west of the dam. It was not fun!

ubee

Damage assessment continues

MERCER, Wis. -- Damage assessment continues following the Tuesday tornado that ripped through the Turtle-Flambeau Flowage between Mercer and Park Falls.

On Thursday, the National Weather Service's Duluth office said it had determined the wind damage on the Turtle-Flambeau was caused by a tornado that struck in the Springstead Landing area, where Flowage Road extends north on a small peninsula, and also by straight-line winds.

The NWS said the majority of the damage in the flowage in the storm around 8 p.m. Tuesday was from the extreme straight-line thunderstorm winds. The damage area is about eight miles long and 1.5 miles wide.

rmk4ever

Wow my buddy's from chicago have a cabin right by the springstead landing, hope it's alright. Love that area in the winter.