UP Camping question

ext580

Hello to all, I am coming up there for some late season mountain biking before I start thinking of snowmobiling.

We are going to be riding the trails in houghton at michigan tech and up in hancock.
Where is the the best and closest place to camp?
We will be heading to copper harbor and staying at the state park up there fort wilkins. Just do not want to have to drive all the way from Copper to houghton & hancock to ride looking for a shorter ride.

Any help would be great on this.
Chris

jr37

There is a county or city park just outside of Hancock on 203 that is a campground. You could also continue up 203 about 8 miles to McClain State Park. They have around 100 sites, many with a view of the big lake. Very beautiful campground. We have not camped there personally, but plan to next year. We did visit there this summer.

L

lenny

Hello to all, I am coming up there for some late season mountain biking before I start thinking of snowmobiling.

We are going to be riding the trails in houghton at michigan tech and up in hancock.
Where is the the best and closest place to camp?
We will be heading to copper harbor and staying at the state park up there fort wilkins. Just do not want to have to drive all the way from Copper to houghton & hancock to ride looking for a shorter ride.

Any help would be great on this.
Chris

I don't know much about camping in that area but I am interested in the trails. If you take a camera, snap some pics of the riding, I'd love to see that, if you would.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Your two best bets are as mentioned above:

The Hancock Recreation Area owned and operated by the city of Hancock. Some really nice camping spots. Also McClain State Park out on the shores of the big lake near the north entry.

-John

ext580

Thanks for the info. Have not ever camped up there but been snowmobiling up in the area for about 10+ years. Love it up there and should be a world of difference seeing it from a bike and not a sled, and no snow on the ground.

I am hoping to get some good pictures.
How are the colors up there now? Has it started to change a lot or just beginning.